Believe it or not, you don’t need to starve yourself or restrict your calories in order to lose weight, as many people do. Starving yourself and restricting your calories may result in quick weight loss, but usually leads to binge eating, which causes you gain back all of the weight you lost, if not more.
All you need is a balanced diet and steady exercise in order to lose weight in all the right places and keep it off. But while you are in the process of losing weight, you can also take supplements to increase your ability to burn fat and to keep your metabolism up. Using the following supplements to your advantage can make a world of difference in your weight loss journey.
1. Vitamin D. Most people don’t realize it, but Vitamin D can play a key role in your weight loss journey. Vitamin D helps body cells absorb glucose, and then the body cells burn the glucose, giving you energy. A lack of Vitamin D can actually affect a hormone in your brain that controls your hunger and tells you when to stop eating. If it is affected, your body won’t know when you’re full and you will continue to eat.
2. Calcium. If your parents always told you to drink plenty of milk, there’s a reason. Aside from being good for your bones and bone structure, calcium can be paired with Vitamin D to help shed fat and keep it off. Calcium promotes fat loss by absorbing some of the fat so it doesn’t head straight into the bloodstream. After consumption, calcium is absorbed into fat cells and some researchers think that the more calcium a fat cell has, the more fat the cell will release. This results in a lower body fat percentage.
3. Protein. Protein is one of the most popular supplements used by health fanatics today. Protein can help keep your hunger in check and keep you fuller longer so that you aren’t tempted to snack. Eating protein can help build your muscle mass while dropping body fat. A few common sources of protein are meat, like steak, turkey, and chicken. Other sources include fish, eggs, and certain dairy products. Whey isolate is also one of the best sources for protein for bodybuilding.
4. Omega-3 Fatty Acids. These omega-3s help melt fat away while keeping muscle mass in check and stifling hunger cravings. Adding omega-3s to your diet can also boost your mood and keep you from reaching for that bag of chips while going through an emotional time. They also might improve leptin signals in the brain, which can cause the brain to decrease appetite and increase fat burning. These acids have also been proven to treat asthma, depression, and rheumatoid arthritis. Common sources of omega-3 fatty acids are certain kinds of fish, like anchovies, herring, and salmon. Other sources include nuts, seeds, and flaxseed oil.
5. Polyphenols. Polyphenols are what make green tea popular in the weight loss world. This chemical is added into green tea to help boost metabolism. Polyphenols with green tea is a great combination, as the tea helps soothe you while the antioxidants reduce hunger cravings and speed up your metabolism. Polyphenols are also helpful in fighting against cancer and can benefit in heart health.
6. Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. These are known as MUFAs and help speed up the fat burning process. MUFAs fats found in nuts, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, and seeds, and can zero in on belly fat. Other foods that have MUFAs in them have been show to reduce appetite and steady blood sugar.
So, you want to start losing weight, but you don’t want to spend a lot of money on fancy diets or completely starve yourself. You don’t want to stop eating the foods you love, and you don’t want to spend hours at the gym every day. While you do need exercise to keep your body in shape, adding these six supplements to your daily diet can help melt fat and build muscle to transform you into a new, healthier you.
With the six suggested supplements above, you can literally change your life—these will all help you obtain results for your physical goals faster. With all of that said, ensure you discuss these supplement options with your physician. It may also be a good idea for you to have your blood tested to make sure there are not any potential kidney, liver, or cardiac issues at play that could make even the most benign supplements, herbs, or minerals dangerous.