Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

(Forum for members to discuss training information)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By donjob
    Junior Bodybuilder
    body building vs strength training
    i have been out of weight lifting for quite some time and recently started back about 2 months ago....before when i was lifting i primarily did straight up strength training on every routine i was ever on (Smolov Squat FTW)

this time around i am more interested in body building than i am strength....i really only did strength training because i had pretty much played sports my entire life....when i quit playing sports i stopped lifting which is one of the biggest regrets i have ever had

i have doing stronglifts 5x5 since i have came back and have to say i am pleased with the results so far what

really my question is this....when should i switch to a body building routine?

i feel that right now my body fat % is really too high (around 25%) for a body building routine to really make a difference in how i look in the short term

also...i dunno if its just the strength training mentality in me but i just feel like i should get a lot stronger before i try to switch to a real body building routine...any advice on this would be much appreciated

Strength is irrelevant when it come to bodybuilding so there really is no need for you to build up your strength. You are correct you really should drop your bf% first, dual in that diet and hit the cardio machine hard, got speed bro.

I think people overthink it to much. Switch up your routines after a while, hit the gym hard, eat well, juice wisely, repeat. It's great to incorporate strength training, but if you're trying to be a BBer the majority of your routines should probably be hypertrophy based.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    who wouldn't want to be strong? i hate guys that lift and say they don't care about strength. continue training for strength man, change up your diet and increase cardio to shed the fat. once you hit 10% bodyfat i'm sure you'll be ripped as hell and swole.
    manu1433 likes this.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by donjob View Post
    who wouldn't want to be strong? i hate guys that lift and say they don't care about strength. continue training for strength man, change up your diet and increase cardio to shed the fat. once you hit 10% bodyfat i'm sure you'll be ripped as hell and swole.
    yea...that's what i was leaning towards anyway....it's just what i know and what i am used to doing

already lost about 26 pounds so far....hate to think what my body fat was during the middle of the summer

Junior Bodybuilder
    also...thanks for the input

Amateur Bodybuilder
    yeah no problem man, you're obviously probably a pretty big guy, there's lots of muscle hiding under that fat. continue with the strength training and just change your diet to lose the fat. it's low bodyfat that creates a ripped physique no matter how big you are, no "shaping" exercise in the world is going to change that.

i say go for strength if its bothering you. look at powerlifters there very big dudes and with a strict diet have very good results aesthetically.

Novice
    Why not go for best of both worlds? Bulk of exercises include front/back squats, deadlifts, push press, glute hamstring raises, bulgarian split squats, pendlay rows, chin up, etc. Do that with bodybuilding "finishers" like bicep circuits, tricep/shoulder workout, etc. After your workout do some interval type training for fatloss.

Try this. Dynamic warm up/foam rolling, Strength training with bodybuilding finishers, some interval training, static stretching cool down. Do this 3 to 4 times a week with a good diet and you should get good results.

Quote Originally Posted by manu1433 View Post
    yea...that's what i was leaning towards anyway....it's just what i know and what i am used to doing

already lost about 26 pounds so far....hate to think what my body fat was during the middle of the summer
    But you said you are more interested in bodybuilding now in your original post? If you want to get big switch your training to bodybuilding, I get the feeling you want to continue with what you are comfortable with? but why not challenge yourself and swithc up the training.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Essex boy View Post
    But you said you are more interested in bodybuilding now in your original post? If you want to get big switch your training to bodybuilding, I get the feeling you want to continue with what you are comfortable with? but why not challenge yourself and swithc up the training.
    how is going for "hypertrophy" challenging yourself? you're not going to grow without a surplus of calories no matter what type of training you do, so why not train for strength and get your diet in check, the body you want will follow.

You can do both and get the best of both worlds. Just keep your diet clean and consistent as well as your training.

Novice
    Its always good to build strength for everyday life you don't want to neglect it

Quote Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
    You can do both and get the best of both worlds. Just keep your diet clean and consistent as well as your training.
    Yep I agree

uniquemicals
Thread Information