Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

Easily share your videos with everyone, public or private
Watch
Better than TV! Watch what you want, when you want!
Upload
Quickly upload and tag videos in almost any video format
rui products

(Forum for members to discuss training information)

Novice
    Default dumbbells or bar
    would like your opinion guys... lets say from a beginner level,if you want to strengthen and blow up your pecs. would you be better off using dumbbells or a bar? EX benchpressing...
    i've personally noticed that doing straight bench and incline with dumbbells destroys my pecs (in a good way) much more than the standard Bar benchpress

Quote Originally Posted by YSR91 View Post
    would like your opinion guys... lets say from a beginner level,if you want to strengthen and blow up your pecs. would you be better off using dumbbells or a bar? EX benchpressing...
    i've personally noticed that doing straight bench and incline with dumbbells destroys my pecs (in a good way) much more than the standard Bar benchpress
    Personally, I like to use DBs. I get a better range of motion and can really stretch at the bottom, and squeeze at the top. But with BB, you can go a lot heavier and get more forced reps out if you have a spotter.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReps View Post
    Personally, I like to use DBs. I get a better range of motion and can really stretch at the bottom, and squeeze at the top. But with BB, you can go a lot heavier and get more forced reps out if you have a spotter.
    totally agree!..and yes obviously with a bar you'll be go heavier... especially if u have a spotter..

Novice
    Switch it up, incorporate some incline DB in.. can also use a smith machine if you dont have a spotter to really hit failure.

Bar bench press, no better way to make the chest big.

Novice
    so latly i was doing stricly bar bench press's... flat bench incline/decline and some flys...
    Yesterday i did incline DB bench, incline flys, decline bar bench, and dips.... my chest is FEEEELINNN it today... i actually havent felt soar like this in a long time...

Novice
    so latly i was doing stricly bar bench press's... flat bench incline/decline and some flys...
    Yesterday i did incline DB bench, incline flys, decline bar bench, and dips.... my chest is FEEEELINNN it today... i actually havent felt soar like this in a long time...
    Nice man. Keep switching it up, it works awsome. The DBs take more balance, and really kill.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoBuild View Post
    Nice man. Keep switching it up, it works awsome. The DBs take more balance, and really kill.
    thats why i figured they are more productive to a point... alot more muscles involved.

I have always started my chest with bench. And then from there i mix it up. I guess that is the power lifter in me.

I know !!! flat bench straight bar.... and then mix it up..

for beginners and as well as advanced db is awesome cause you get a better grip on the weight plus you will feel a better contraction on those pec when you lift,

I like to use both. I usually start off with barbell press and then do dumbell. I think the key is to switch it up. Both are great exercises. Flys and cable crossovers really isolate my chest a lot better though. I always incorporate those into my chest workouts.

Junior Bodybuilder
    I'm with P on this ... I love the stretch and range of motion from db's. I feel like I can envision the blood being pushed into my pec a little better.
    That being said this is how I mix it up. I do chest twice a week and I start on Sunday with flat bench bb then incline db's thursday I start with incline bb then flat db. I also switch out decline with incline every other week but always use bb on decline. I will let this routine ride for a couple of months then mix in some smiths or hammer strengths for high reps just to shock the system. Just my $.02

I feel like I can get a better squeeze with the db's.

Knowledge Equals Results Phatbastard's Avatar
    You pretty much answered your own question!!!!!

Personally I use both theres absolutely no reason not to!

I always prefer DB's simply because I feel its a bit more effective for me and it helps keep my left arm/side up with my right by forcing it to do the same load.
    Last edited by Zero V; 12-20-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Free lance Bro

DB's baby more control and concentration a must equals quality muscle and great form

Amateur Bodybuilder alexus hensicus's Avatar
    DB for the isolation factor, hate when my dominant arm takes over

DB's drive my BB bench up, I love 'em. The movement seems much more natural and I won't do BB incline anymore because of that. DB's won't screw my shoulder up.

The biggest pain in the ass is dealing with them to get them over to the bench and back lol.

BB bench is the base, from there incorporate DB incline, flyes, etc... I stay away from BB incline because my shoulder is fucked up and really feel it when I do. I like the ROM with DB and can control a bit better for pain's sake in my shoulder. Always good to alternate BB and DB tho.

Barbell for a solid chest in saying that mix it up . the barbell can be very harsh on ur front delts . if u want a solid chest focus on ur upper chest more then ur mid or lower pecs i find this effective.

Thread Information