Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

(Forum for members to discuss training information)

Mike Mentzer Training
    One of my trainees recently sent me his copy of one of the Mike Mentzer books that I hadn't read. "High Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer way" This book was penned by John Little who was working with Mike a lot prior to his death. Much of the book was actually written by Mike and John added a bit. There are some great pictures of Mike in the book. He really had an awesome physique. After reading most of it over the weekend I was once again reminded why I was once so spellbound by Mike's use of logic to present his training theories. I mean, hell, you read it and it makes perfect sense. That is until one has enough experience to know that a LARGE PERCENT OF IT IS FLAT OUT WRONG!

His basic premise that most bodybuilders overtrain is CORRECT!

His basic premise that doing less will result in better gains for MOST people is CORRECT!

The basic principles of muscle stressors and adaptation is CORRECT!

His ideas about exercise selection and execution are well thought out.

The routines given work GREAT for many people.......for a short time, and then quit working......no explanation is ever given how to get past this.

Most every other step of logic is taken past the point of both reason and reality.

His diet recommendations are past the point of belief and just DONíT work.

His statement that we all as humans share the same physiology and thus all require the same loading protocol is just the lamest thing I can imagine. And the sad thing is a very long time ago, I read it and believed it.

There is nothing wrong with very low volume training providing you respond to it, but the way Mike presented it, just gets one started down the path and then leaves them stranded.

If you want an extreme low volume method that doesnít leave you stuck after a short time, one of my rotating low volume routines work well, as does a low volume hardgainer WSB routine. And DCís method solves the problems that Mikeís method creates.

As many of you know I was personally trained by Mike and believe he contributed a lot to the sport, but unfortunately he missed some very key aspects and as years went by, his methods de-evolved IMO.

If you respond well to extremely low volume his basic concepts can be made to work well, as witnessed by DCís routines success. But as written there are many fundamental flaws with Mikeís philosophy.

Iron Addict

I tried his training and it did make me stronger. But I after a while I felt that it just was not enough.

Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SaVaGe
    I tried his training and it did make me stronger. But I after a while I felt that it just was not enough.
    if you a competetive PLer it wont be.

You are right PB, but Mentzers last redition of HD training had you doing ONE set for each bodypart every 12-16 days. Not quite enough for most folks and NO methods or design about what to do when you get STUCK!

Iron Addict

Thread Information