Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products
 

(Forum for members to discuss training information)

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Novice keith1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    4
    My modified 5x5 routine..input please
    Hey guys,

    I am thinking of starting this 5x5 routine that i took bits and pieces from different 5x5's i found..let me know what you all think. I am thinking of starting it next week.

    BTW i been training for about 6 years now.

    Keith


    Exercises are 5x5 unless otherwise noted.

    Monday A-1

    A-1 DB press
    A-2 DB row
    B-1 DB curl 3x5
    B-2 Tricep pushdown 3x5
    C-1 Squats
    Seated calf raise 3x20


    Wednesday
    B-1 Squats
    B-2 Dumbell press
    C-1 Incline DB
    Shrugs 3x5
    Pull ups 3x8

    Friday
    C-1 Squats
    A-1 DB press
    A-2 DB row
    A-3 Incline DB press
    Seated calf raise 3x20

  2. #2
    More Noob Than You glubgawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1569 View Post

    Monday A-1

    A-1 DB press
    A-2 DB row
    B-1 DB curl 3x5
    B-2 Tricep pushdown 3x5
    C-1 Squats
    Seated calf raise 3x20


    Wednesday
    B-1 Squats
    B-2 Dumbell press
    C-1 Incline DB
    Shrugs 3x5
    Pull ups 3x8

    Friday
    C-1 Squats
    A-1 DB press
    A-2 DB row
    A-3 Incline DB press
    Seated calf raise 3x20
    I'll be honest....it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it's definitely pretty bad imo.

    You managed to include some incredibly worthless movements (ie bicep curls) and skipped right over deadlifts which is one of the most effective movements.

    You use dumbbells WAY too much. Part of the philosophy of the 5x5 is lifting as heavy as possible. You're not accomplishing that with dumbbells and therefore are getting a less effective workout.

    Also, I assume "DB press" is flat bench with dumbbells? You're gonna stall on that in the first 2-4 weeks and get absolutely 0 gains in that department.

    I'd strongly suggest you read everything in here:

    Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

    That routine is very solid. And it saves the worthless bicep curls for Friday after you've already taxed them doing real lifts. That way they won't make your real lifts suffer. It'd honestly be best to just drop that from the routine entirely, but for some reason everyone seems to think that's what makes biceps grow.

    Anyways, don't fuck with the routine I linked above. It's fine the way it is. Bill Starr knows what he's doing.

  3. #3
    Novice keith1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    4
    Thanks for thr detailed reply. I will check out that link. I have stayed away from barbells for a while cause I have a bad shoulder and it aggravates it. I will try adding it in slowly and see if that helps.

    Keith

  4. #4
    More Noob Than You glubgawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1569 View Post
    Thanks for thr detailed reply. I will check out that link. I have stayed away from barbells for a while cause I have a bad shoulder and it aggravates it. I will try adding it in slowly and see if that helps.

    Keith
    Eh well that is going to change things a little. Obviously you don't want to be re-injuring it. I'd suggest sticking to BBs on things like rows and overhead press (those shouldn't bug your shoulders, but let me know if they do) and you might consider skipping flat bench all together.

    Maybe consider doing inc DB press M/F instead of the flat bench? And then drop inc bench from the W workout.

  5. #5
    Novice keith1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    4
    Ya military press and rows do not bother it much. Just BB flat and incline bench. I will add the incline to M and W and gonna follow the program on the link you provided pretty closely. Do you think I should do flat db at all or just stick with the incline only on M and W?

  6. #6
    More Noob Than You glubgawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1569 View Post
    Ya military press and rows do not bother it much. Just BB flat and incline bench. I will add the incline to M and W and gonna follow the program on the link you provided pretty closely. Do you think I should do flat db at all or just stick with the incline only on M and W?
    You could. You could keep the program exactly as written and just use DBs for the bench movements if those are safe on your shoulder.

    Just be sure your form is solid. You can still injure that shoulder with a poorly performed DB press.

    I'd also suggest not trying to follow the "new PR every week" protocol for the DB movements. It's a recipe for injury. Just progress slowly with those.

  7. #7
    Novice keith1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    4
    Will do man..ya i cant really do the pr every week thing with DB ha. I'm pretty stoked about giving a shot. I appreciate the info and help

    Keith

  8. #8
    More Noob Than You glubgawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1569 View Post
    Will do man..ya i cant really do the pr every week thing with DB ha. I'm pretty stoked about giving a shot. I appreciate the info and help

    Keith
    np bro. let us know how it works out.

  9. #9
    Novice keith1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    4
    Ya for sure. I will be starting Friday which is my Monday for workouts ha

  10. #10
    geftmeve
    Guest
    beats by dre
    to buy <a href=monsterbeatsny.com/>monster beats by dre</a> for promotion code

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads
  1. By needsize in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 330
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 11:49 AM
  2. By volatile in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
  3. By seek&destroy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
  4. By hammer53 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 01:13 PM
  5. By MuffDyver in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  

3Js Nutrition Network

juicepump







need to build muscle



mr supps

3Js Nutrition Network

solid muscle isolate 5lb

mr supps





mr supps