Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

(Forum for members to discuss training information)

Administrator
    Site Manager
    Cooked Calves--in Under 4 Minutes; by Nelson Montana
    COOKED CALVES--IN UNDER 4 MINUTES by Nelson Montana

How are your calves? Mine suck. Actually, by normal people's standards, they're
    pretty good. But by bodybuilding standards...well, let's just say that Dorian Yates
    wouldn't be intimidated by a toe-to-toe comparison.
    So if my calves are only "so so", what makes me qualified to write an article on
    calve training? Doesn't it make more sense to hear from someone with
    extraordinary calves? Ironically, anyone with outstanding calve development is
    the last person to be giving advice on improving the lower leg. They're the ones
    who have it easy -- the lucky few born with lots of fast twitch fibers in the lower
    legs. That's because, more than any other muscle group, the size and shape of
    one's calves is determined by heredity. People with a genetic disposition for
    shapely muscular calves need only to walk and their calves will look good.
    Bastards.
    For the rest of us mere mortals, it's different. Like most bodybuilders, my calves
    have always resisted growth--so much so that not too long ago they bore a
    striking resemblance to a pair of pool cues. It was pitiful! I've had to battle for
    every centimeter of growth but despite all the effort, nothing
    seemed to help. I tried everything. Then it hit me. It was so simple. (As most
    "discoveries" are.)
    After years of trial and error, I finally found the secret to adding precious muscle
    tissue onto those stubborn soleus.
    HEEL UP--HEEL DOWN--WHAT ELSE?
    Let's face it, the calves are pretty limited in the way they can be trained.
    Everything is a toe raise of some sort. Add into the mix that they don't provide a
    satisfying pump, as is the case when working the chest or arms. They just burn.
    The key to killer calves isn't in the exercises, but in the method in which they're
    employed.
    There are two theories to calve training. Because the muscle group consists of
    mostly slow twitch (red) muscle fibers, the potential for growth is limited. Slow
    twitch muscles are designed for endurance, leaving the presumption that the
    calves should be trained with high reps. The opposite school of thought is:
    because the calves are used to performing thousands of reps each day (walking
    and running) they need to be "shocked" with low reps and heavy weight. "Light"
    work won't work since the thick ankle bone and Achilles tendon are capable of
    withstanding tremendous pressure, therefore it stands to reason that working the
    calves with a heavy load would be necessary. Both theories are valid. Both
    theories are flawed.
    GET IT OVER WITH!
    It's been my experience that calves respond best when worked quickly. That
    doesn't necessarily mean that the reps should be fast. Instead, the total reps
    should be condensed into as little time as possible.
    That's the key.

It may be hard to believe that any workout session that lasts for only a few
    minutes can be very effective. Yet, in the case of calve training, it's not only
    possible--it's preferable.
    Here's how it's done.
    Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) Your goal will be to
    reach 75 reps.
    Use a weight that you would normally choose for a twenty rep set.
    Complete the 20 reps and continue until you can't do another rep.
    Rest just long enough for the burning to subside (no longer than 10 seconds) and
    continue with as many reps as possible, even if it's only 5 reps at a time.
    Proceed in this fashion until you reach the target goal of 75.
    That's it! Total time? Under 4 minutes. Granted, it's a very painful four minutes,
    but four minutes nonetheless.
    WARNING!
    You may feel a tinge of guilt that the routine took so little time but you'll have a
    different point of view the next day when your calves are aching like they've
    never ached before! Do not be tempted to do more work! Wait and see. If you're
    still able to walk, you either didn't go heavy enough or you allowed too much time
    between "sets."
    Once you're able to tolerate this routine, increase the number of reps to 100.
    Once that becomes too easy, (which I wouldn't count on happening in the near
    future) add more weight.
    I found this routine to be, by far, the most effective method for packing some well
    earned muscle onto the calves. Even the hardest gainer can add size and shape
    to their lower leg as long as they can tolerate the torture required to "keep going"
    and complete the work out in as short a duration as possible. But make no
    mistake about it--when following this program it's going to feel as if someone is
    pouring acid on your calves! (And who says calve training can't be fun?)
    Now you don't have any excuses. Four minutes is nothing! But a great pair of
    calves is a most envious "finished touch" to the complete physique. If this routine
    worked for me, (stick leg Nellie) it can work for anyone. Give this four minute
    workout a try for a month and see for yourself if it doesn't make a dramatic
    difference in the size and shape of your calves.
    Even if your calves aren't your best bodypart, there's no reason they can't look
    good. All it takes is 4 minutes a week. And a high tolerance for pain.

Thanks to Nelson Montana

www.davedraper.com
    Last edited by StoneColdNTO; 10-26-2003 at 08:54 PM.
    Stone Cold..............................Never Too Old

Disclaimer: Steroidology.com does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.

Administrator
    Site Manager

How are your calves? Mine suck. Actually, by normal people's standards, they're
    pretty good. But by bodybuilding standards...well, let's just say that Dorian Yates
    wouldn't be intimidated by a toe-to-toe comparison.
    So if my calves are only "so so", what makes me qualified to write an article on
    calve training? Doesn't it make more sense to hear from someone with
    extraordinary calves? Ironically, anyone with outstanding calve development is
    the last person to be giving advice on improving the lower leg. They're the ones
    who have it easy -- the lucky few born with lots of fast twitch fibers in the lower
    legs. That's because, more than any other muscle group, the size and shape of
    one's calves is determined by heredity. People with a genetic disposition for
    shapely muscular calves need only to walk and their calves will look good.
    Bastards.
    For the rest of us mere mortals, it's different. Like most bodybuilders, my calves
    have always resisted growth--so much so that not too long ago they bore a
    striking resemblance to a pair of pool cues. It was pitiful! I've had to battle for
    every centimeter of growth but despite all the effort, nothing
    seemed to help. I tried everything. Then it hit me. It was so simple. (As most
    "discoveries" are.)
    After years of trial and error, I finally found the secret to adding precious muscle
    tissue onto those stubborn soleus.
    HEEL UP--HEEL DOWN--WHAT ELSE?
    Let's face it, the calves are pretty limited in the way they can be trained.
    Everything is a toe raise of some sort. Add into the mix that they don't provide a
    satisfying pump, as is the case when working the chest or arms. They just burn.
    The key to killer calves isn't in the exercises, but in the method in which they're
    employed.
    There are two theories to calve training. Because the muscle group consists of
    mostly slow twitch (red) muscle fibers, the potential for growth is limited. Slow
    twitch muscles are designed for endurance, leaving the presumption that the
    calves should be trained with high reps. The opposite school of thought is:
    because the calves are used to performing thousands of reps each day (walking
    and running) they need to be "shocked" with low reps and heavy weight. "Light"
    work won't work since the thick ankle bone and Achilles tendon are capable of
    withstanding tremendous pressure, therefore it stands to reason that working the
    calves with a heavy load would be necessary. Both theories are valid. Both
    theories are flawed.
    GET IT OVER WITH!
    It's been my experience that calves respond best when worked quickly. That
    doesn't necessarily mean that the reps should be fast. Instead, the total reps
    should be condensed into as little time as possible.
    That's the key.

It may be hard to believe that any workout session that lasts for only a few
    minutes can be very effective. Yet, in the case of calve training, it's not only
    possible--it's preferable.
    Here's how it's done.
    Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) Your goal will be to
    reach 75 reps.
    Use a weight that you would normally choose for a twenty rep set.
    Complete the 20 reps and continue until you can't do another rep.
    Rest just long enough for the burning to subside (no longer than 10 seconds) and
    continue with as many reps as possible, even if it's only 5 reps at a time.
    Proceed in this fashion until you reach the target goal of 75.
    That's it! Total time? Under 4 minutes. Granted, it's a very painful four minutes,
    but four minutes nonetheless.
    WARNING!
    You may feel a tinge of guilt that the routine took so little time but you'll have a
    different point of view the next day when your calves are aching like they've
    never ached before! Do not be tempted to do more work! Wait and see. If you're
    still able to walk, you either didn't go heavy enough or you allowed too much time
    between "sets."
    Once you're able to tolerate this routine, increase the number of reps to 100.
    Once that becomes too easy, (which I wouldn't count on happening in the near
    future) add more weight.
    I found this routine to be, by far, the most effective method for packing some well
    earned muscle onto the calves. Even the hardest gainer can add size and shape
    to their lower leg as long as they can tolerate the torture required to "keep going"
    and complete the work out in as short a duration as possible. But make no
    mistake about it--when following this program it's going to feel as if someone is
    pouring acid on your calves! (And who says calve training can't be fun?)
    Now you don't have any excuses. Four minutes is nothing! But a great pair of
    calves is a most envious "finished touch" to the complete physique. If this routine
    worked for me, (stick leg Nellie) it can work for anyone. Give this four minute
    workout a try for a month and see for yourself if it doesn't make a dramatic
    difference in the size and shape of your calves.
    Even if your calves aren't your best bodypart, there's no reason they can't look
    good. All it takes is 4 minutes a week. And a high tolerance for pain.

Thanks to Nelson Montana

www.davedraper.com
    Stone Cold..............................Never Too Old

Disclaimer: Steroidology.com does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.

non conformist
    Stone whats with the link......to Drapers site?

I'll have to give that one a try. I've heard some people talking about good results with something similar, and I need all the calf help I can get.

Tried this on Monday after the rest of legs - still having trouble walking due to the soreness - hopefully this will make those bastards grow.

Tried it today (about 45 minutes ago, and I still can't walk), along with the 5x5 routine for legs. I'll get back with a report tomorrow.

Well, since we're talking about "cooking" calves, I'd have to give that workout a rating of medium well. Not quite as sore as I' expected, but still pretty sore.

Eze
    Senior Veteran
    Last time I did this, I was in pretty bad shape for a few days. My calves were so sore, that I couldn't walk. Straightening out my legs in bed while trying to sleep had me in loads of pain. I ended up having to walk with my legs bent at 90 degrees and on my tip toes. Any attempt to stretch the calf was pretty brutal.

My suggestion:
    Ease into this program

i tried this and damn it hurt.......

Community Veteran
    Bodybuilding Author

Glad to see every got good (painful) results from this routine. It always works so why would anyone spend more time than necessary training calves?

StoneCold was generous enough to include Daves site as one of the distributors of my book.

this is a nasty method. i like it.

I'll try it again on leg day this week, and maybe go a little heavier. I didn't really feel it as much as ya'll seem to.

I have the opposite problem in that the back of my calves have outgrown the front muscles, and I don't even work them out. I've had killer shin splints for years (though they flare up only while running).

I'll give this a shot to exercise the front and side shin muscles and see how it goes.

I wonder if that would work on other body parts other then calves.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
    IntensityX

Probably to some degree, mostly in a cutting/defining way. You gotta think, the calves get thousands of "reps" each day just from us walking around, whereas other bodyparts (for the most part) only get the number of reps we give them in the gym and very little miscellaneous outside activity. I guess it could work though. Why don't you be our guinea pig??

Originally posted by hornedfrogsAT
    Probably to some degree, mostly in a cutting/defining way. You gotta think, the calves get thousands of "reps" each day just from us walking around, whereas other bodyparts (for the most part) only get the number of reps we give them in the gym and very little miscellaneous outside activity. I guess it could work though. Why don't you be our guinea pig??
    May give it a shot,I'll try it on arm day and see what happens.

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
    IntensityX

Gave it a shot on abs, but I didn't think about it until I had already done about 8 other sets. Finished with this on exercise ball crunches, and 45 minutes later, I am still doubled over from it. I give it 2 pins up.

Originally posted by hornedfrogsAT
    Gave it a shot on abs, but I didn't think about it until I had already done about 8 other sets. Finished with this on exercise ball crunches, and 45 minutes later, I am still doubled over from it. I give it 2 pins up.
    Cool,I'll let everyone know how this works on arms

Eat,Learn,Train,Grow
    IntensityX

Rookie
    Talking
    Hey i dunno whether to thank you for that routine or sue you lol.

Nah i tried the 75 reps on standing calf raises, and im having difficulty walking today, so thanks alot, i will be sure to try this method again........ when i recover

IX, results yet?

Oh, and I added weight and did this for calves again this week, and I have to retract my statement of "medium well" and replace it with flame grilled, overcooked.

Novice
    lmao!!

Thread Information