Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

Discussion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Megatron28
    Rookie
    39 years old and testosterone blood results
    Hi

I'm looking for some help. Been feeling pretty crap for months now and combined with a medical condition I had when young,I came to the conclusion it might be low test.
    Got blood test results from GP today and he said my testosterone levels were fine.He basically palmed me off and tried to put my lack of energy,libido, and all round apathy down to stress or even depression.
    My testosterone was 12.1 nmol/L. The clinics range is 8.9 - 29.7. Now,I'm 39 and that seems low to me. I have read guidelines for GPs that state anybody in the 8-12 range should be considered for a trial TRT run. Yet I'm just 0.1 over that and he won't even consider that my test is low.
    I also think my FSH looks high.
    Just wondering if anybody has any input on these results.

LH 3.5 u/l. Clinic range ( 1.0-9.0u/l)

FSH 11.4 u/l (seems high). Clinic range (1.0-9.0 u/l)

PROLACTIN 142 u/l Clinic range (0-350 u/l)

TESTOSTERONE 12.1 nmol/L Clinic range (8.9-29.7)

SHGB 31.4 nmol/L. Clinic range (17.3-65.8)

FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 38.54. Clinic range (23.3-103)

Any help would be good.

Thanks

12.1nmol (about 348ng/dl) puts you pretty close to hypogonadal range. Not quite as medically defined, but it is still very low for your age. You should be in the 500-700 range.

You FSH being high indicates that you might be getting Primary Hypogonadism, meaning that your testicles are not working properly. In some guys, their testicles are fine but their pituitary is not working. That is referred to as Secondary.

I would get checked by a Urologist if I were you. Make sure all the "plumbing" is working right. Have you ever had any trauma.

I posted a sticky in this TRT forum called Basic TRT Overview. You will see it towards the top. Give it a read for a better understanding of what might be going on.
    halfwit likes this.
    Get Blood work! Get the Hormone Panel for Females (for men too).

www.labsmd.com. Actual TT results. $73
    www.privatemdlabs.com. TT only up to 1500. $54

Consult with a Dr.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron28 View Post
    12.1nmol (about 348ng/dl) puts you pretty close to hypogonadal range. Not quite as medically defined, but it is still very low for your age. You should be in the 500-700 range.

You FSH being high indicates that you might be getting Primary Hypogonadism, meaning that your testicles are not working properly. In some guys, their testicles are fine but their pituitary is not working. That is referred to as Secondary.

I would get checked by a Urologist if I were you. Make sure all the "plumbing" is working right. Have you ever had any trauma.

I posted a sticky in this TRT forum called Basic TRT Overview. You will see it towards the top. Give it a read for a better understanding of what might be going on.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have studied all of this for a few weeks as I kind of suspected that my test was low.
    You see I only have one testicle. My left one is atrophied from puberty.But in my 20s I felt absolutely fine, and even well into my 30s I felt good. It's only the last year I have went down pretty quick. I never bothered getting my testosterone checked in my 20s or early 30s because I had a kid with my wife, so everything was in working order and the one testicle was making up for the non working one.

The doc knows all of this yet still he won't even consider 12.1 as low.
    I guess I'm just going to have to live with this,as getting anything done in the uk looks impossible.

Thanks for your help

Talk to BigBen, Hoodlum and other guys in the UK about navigating the system there.
    Get Blood work! Get the Hormone Panel for Females (for men too).

www.labsmd.com. Actual TT results. $73
    www.privatemdlabs.com. TT only up to 1500. $54

Consult with a Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron28 View Post

Some guys have a case of each present (Primary & Secondary) with Low T

Ever take any exogenous hormones in the past ?
    look into having a sleep study done....
    Your numbers (although on the lower end for T) are not the worst I've seen here on this forum by far.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by APOLLON View Post
    Ever take any exogenous hormones in the past ?
    look into having a sleep study done....
    Your numbers (although on the lower end for T) are not the worst I've seen here on this forum by far.

No,never taken any hormones or steroids in the past.
    Why a sleep study?
    It's just really pissed me off that despite the doctor knowing my medical history and the symptoms I have been displaying for the last year, combined with the blood results,that he won't even entertain that I have low test.

The reason for a sleep study is that Sleep Apnea is known to lower your Test level, it is very possible that if you are at the lower end of normal that you can raise your Test level a good deal just by correcting your Sleep Apnea. Many people that have low T find that their sleep apnea becomes more pronounced once they start TRT, I myself found that I noticed the effects of sleep apnea after I started TRT, I have sense had a sleep study performed and started using a C-Pap machine and my quality of sleep has improved greatly.

Thread Information