Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

Discussion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice
    Why is testosterone so difficult to get prescribed?
    So I'm curious why women can so easily get prescribed estrogen (birth control) from their doctor- they require no tests to make sure they are "within range" or any of that bullshit, but for men it's next to impossible to get prescribed testosterone. I went to my doctor and I have all the signs of Low T: low energy, trouble concentrating, depression, anxiety, no drive, can't grow facial hair, gynecomastia, etc... but am still within the mid-low range of total testosterone. And because of this, he wont let me try testosterone bc I'm not out of range. WTF WHY NOT??

Why are doctors so nonchalant about prescribing birth control pills (a steroid) to a woman. But then won't prescribe testosterone (a steroid) to men. I'm kinda a conspiracy theorist and this just reeks of it. Seriously, if the concern with testosterone is, if you have to come off them, it might do damage to your natural production, why does this same concern not apply to women being prescribed birth control? So why is testosterone so strictly administered but estrogen so easily accessible?

Dont think their is much in the way of abusing birth control as their is for men abusing test. Thats how they see it I think. or its just a huge plan run by the Illuminati to keep us using UGLs which secretly fund the Illuminati for their future plans of world domination. Im going with option A but B does sound alot cooler =P

Rookie
    Because testosterone is a schedule III drug..

Also most doctors are terribly misinformed when it comes to hormones. A few days ago I had asked my doc to get bloodwork done to check my test levels and he spent 20 mins explaining to me why it wasn't needed... lol

Because they have boobs

Junior Bodybuilder
    birth control is a lot different in what it does, as it really provides little no performance enhancing effects. Test is obviously abused is why. Plus it seems everybody including the medical community is confused about this stuff. Also once you start with this stuff its kind of a life time deal, and for younger guys may not be the best answer.

I dont know this for sure, im certainly not an expert on the subject, but i dont think birth control shuts down estrogen production in women when they discontinue use. In the birth control pill dispenser, one week of the pills is just sugar pills. I believe its during that time they have their period. Those pills dont have any medication in them, they are just there so they can keep track of their meds. Maybe this one week per month that they dont medicate keeps them from permenantly altering hormone production?
    Although, i know there are other types of birth control now, like the time release under skin implants. So these obviously continue to dispense medication. Which doesnt support my theory. Oh well, just my two cents.

Novice
    I understand the argument of abuse, but if you only prescribe a certain amount, it makes abuse nearly impossible, or at least only possible for a week or 2. Additionally, the fact that it is a class III drug, is ridiculous. WHY?? I'm a firm believer that you should be able to do what you want to your body, and by all means I think restricting to the degree that you have to go to the doctor to get it makes sense, but disallowing men who are symptomatic to TRY testosterone replacement to see if it offers help is absolute insanity. Especially if it's only a month or 2 of TRT- using testosterone, hcg and an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) will almost ensure no long lasting negative effects, so I don't understand why they are so against it.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by NateDEEzy View Post
    I understand the argument of abuse, but if you only prescribe a certain amount, it makes abuse nearly impossible, or at least only possible for a week or 2. Additionally, the fact that it is a class III drug, is ridiculous. WHY?? I'm a firm believer that you should be able to do what you want to your body, and by all means I think restricting to the degree that you have to go to the doctor to get it makes sense, but disallowing men who are symptomatic to TRY testosterone replacement to see if it offers help is absolute insanity. Especially if it's only a month or 2 of TRT- using testosterone, hcg and an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) will almost ensure no long lasting negative effects, so I don't understand why they are so against it.
    I buy your arguement of being able to do what you want to your body. Problem being is lawsuits exsist and the medical community is going to be unwilling to persribe you what you want because they would be risking their jobs and lively hood.

Nate, how about providing some stats....age, weight, bodyfat, exercise routine, and diet.

TRT is not a magic bullet that will solve all your problems. The point of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is to restore testosterone levels up to your youthful normal level.

Birth control is an entirely different matter that really has nothing to do with you or your health condition.

Guys on this board can help you. You just need to be honest about your stats so that they can get a real picture of your current situation.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by transcend2007 View Post
    Nate, how about providing some stats....age, weight, bodyfat, exercise routine, and diet.

TRT is not a magic bullet that will solve all your problems. The point of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is to restore testosterone levels up to your youthful normal level.

Birth control is an entirely different matter that really has nothing to do with you or your health condition.

Guys on this board can help you. You just need to be honest about your stats so that they can get a real picture of your current situation.
    Hes right and if your in the 400-500 Zone I would say you probably didnt need it either. With working out and eating right your numbers could be better. Also your age if your 40-45 with mid range numbers that probably isnt all bad.

Novice
    I'm 26, tested when I was 24 and 25.. results ranged between 400-600's. Also, 6'6 200lbs, white. So really, for me, it really doesn't matter what people try to tell me. Even though my results are considered normal, having no facial and gynecomastia is not normal. Additionally, I firmly believe the "normal range" is very deceptive and quite frankly, inaccurate. Testosterone decreases with age, and so any range that doesn't take that into account is incomprehensible. Additionally, I believe the range is off anyway. You are hard pressed to find men in the 300's and 400's who feel amazing, yet you will find a lot more in the 700-1100 range, or even slightly above.

I think you have the wrong idea about TRT. testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is not for a "month or two" as you say. That is a cycle. testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is for life because your body stops makng enough T naturally. If you want to cycle that is your prerogative. But be honest about what you are looking to accomplish. And if you really have gyno, etc as you also mentioned you need a doctor treating you. You need to understand what the underlying issue is with your body and hormones. Just my two cents.

Also, I found it incredibly easy to get my doctor to traeat my low T with test cyp. A few lab test to prove my T was low and away we went. Checked whether was primary or secondary and we put together a treatment plan. What was your experience to make you think that it is hard to get a doctor t prescribe testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for you? It seems like you are leaving some pertinent facts out.
    Last edited by Megatron28; 08-24-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Nate thanks for providing a few of your stats. How about sharing the rest of them. You did not list your body fat %, exercise routine, or diet. At 26 years old its far more likely that your lifestyle choices are affecting your energy level and other issues. Also the fact that you list depression and anxiety as symptoms you may want to seek some counseling. Many people have benefited from therapy.

I don't want to sound like I am lecturing you. You're sharing a lot of personal info and seeking solutions which is a great first step. But, it does occur to me that you are looking for a magic bullet. I can tell you after being on hrt/trt for 18 months that is not the case. Diet and exercise are still critical (I believe the most critical).

The bottom line is your are responsible for your own life. Mind set and attitude will determine to a huge degree the results you get and ultimately your happiness. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will start improving.

For the record many guys cant grow a beard for shit. I would not worry about that. Get the gynecomastia treated. It is normally a hormone imbalance but since you testosterone levels are normal it may be as simple as getting your estrogen levels checked and under control. BTW high male estrogen levels can cause altered (lower) mood, low sperm count, and low bone density.

Gynecomastia is most common in men who are over weight or obese. It can also be caused by OTC herbal products, street drugs, and alcohol abuse. In any case, it is treatable and you can control it.

Junior Bodybuilder
    I'm 26, tested when I was 24 and 25.. results ranged between 400-600's. Also, 6'6 200lbs, white. So really, for me, it really doesn't matter what people try to tell me. Even though my results are considered normal, having no facial and gynecomastia is not normal. Additionally, I firmly believe the "normal range" is very deceptive and quite frankly, inaccurate. Testosterone decreases with age, and so any range that doesn't take that into account is incomprehensible. Additionally, I believe the range is off anyway. You are hard pressed to find men in the 300's and 400's who feel amazing, yet you will find a lot more in the 700-1100 range, or even slightly above.
    not dis counting how you feel but some of those things are problems for people with normal T levels. Yeah numbers are numbers at times, but with those numbers a normal doc probably wont touch you and youll probably have a hard time getting a clinic to help to. You may want to check other things such as vitamin levels, diabetes, thyroid, etc. You can always go the back door route and get this stuff. But like mentioned this isnt some fountain of youth product that you try once and done.

Novice
    Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) isn't a short term solution, it's for life. I've done almost 2 years of research on the subject. All I was saying was, to see if low testosterone, or something related were the culprit behind no facial hair, gynecomastia, and all the other symptoms I am experiencing, I could go on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with all the safety precautions of using HCG and an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) to prevent any lasting negative effects, and if the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) produced no substantial positive results within a month or two and I decided to come off, it wouldn't be a big deal. Additionally, I managed to get a tube of Testim, bc I'm hard headed and firmly believe my theory and had to test it, and when I rubbed it on, I couldn't believe the difference, it was like night and day. I have what's called ADD-PI, which is like having ADHD but without the hyperactivity.. sucks pretty bad. Either way I've read on some forums of men who have the same condition, went and got their testosterone checked, found it was low and got prescribed testosterone, and said it changed their life-pretty much absolved the issue, which makes sense bc the condition is pretty much like living in a haze due to a lack of mental stimulation.
    Additionally - someone mentioned lack of facial hair being genetic, which is true, it could be. But so is downs syndrome or most other disease, and just because it's genetic, doesn't mean it's optimal or that there's not something wrong.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) isn't a short term solution, it's for life. I've done almost 2 years of research on the subject. All I was saying was, to see if low testosterone, or something related were the culprit behind no facial hair, gynecomastia, and all the other symptoms I am experiencing, I could go on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) with all the safety precautions of using HCG and an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) to prevent any lasting negative effects, and if the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) produced no substantial positive results within a month or two and I decided to come off, it wouldn't be a big deal. Additionally, I managed to get a tube of Testim, bc I'm hard headed and firmly believe my theory and had to test it, and when I rubbed it on, I couldn't believe the difference, it was like night and day. I have what's called ADD-PI, which is like having ADHD but without the hyperactivity.. sucks pretty bad. Either way I've read on some forums of men who have the same condition, went and got their testosterone checked, found it was low and got prescribed testosterone, and said it changed their life-pretty much absolved the issue, which makes sense bc the condition is pretty much like living in a haze due to a lack of mental stimulation.
    Additionally - someone mentioned lack of facial hair being genetic, which is true, it could be. But so is downs syndrome or most other disease, and just because it's genetic, doesn't mean it's optimal or that there's not something wrong.
    Could medication you take for your ADHD type sydrome maybe spur Low T? Really anybody that puts testim or injects even a normal guy is going to feel better, not guys with just low numbers will feel it.

Novice
    Additionally, our "normal" levels don't seem to be a reliable measurement. Men today are less hairy, have more cases of gynecomastia etc.. than 40 years ago because testosterone levels are dropping with each generation and there are countless amounts of environmental estrogens that we're exposed to daily. Whether it's the estrogen pumped chickens to produce their breast growth so those raising them are more profitable, or the water we drink which is contaminated with all the birth control women take, or the produce we eat which is sprayed with pesticides, or the plastics we use every day- we can't escape it. There's actually a study out that shows how testosterone levels in American men has dropped 20 % in 20 years. The study ranged from something like 1980 -2000. Meaning a 60 yo man in 2000 has, on average, 20% less testosterone than a 60 yo man from 1980. And who's to say how long this has been going on? birth control was introduced in 1950, I believe, so has this decrease been going on for this long? If so, that would mean our "normal" range for testosterone is actually WAY off. Maybe our testosterone levels should actually be much higher, but the average level when the normal testosterone range was measured and created was already altered by this testosterone decline. Who's to say the average man 100 years ago, before all the environmental estrogen exposure didn't have 40 % higher testosterone than the average man today- but just because the average man today has this lowered level, doesn't mean it's actually normal. If we take the average of 95% or so of the population to determine the normal level, but 100 % of the population's testosterone has been decreasing since the introduction of environmental estrogens, that 95% considered normal, is actually lower than what it would be, say 100 years ago. So our "normal" levels are actually based on skewed results-chemically altered men. So who's to say that normal shouldn't be 40% (or even more) higher than the scale reads today. Certainly this would explain why so many men feel shitty toward the lower end or the normal range, but feel much better at the higher end. Maybe the higher end 800-11000 is what the average man had 100 years ago. and the results we see today are only the result of decline due to all the environmental estrogens we're exposed to every day over the past how-many-ever years.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Could medication you take for your ADHD type sydrome maybe spur Low T? Really anybody that puts testim or injects even a normal guy is going to feel better, not guys with just low numbers will feel it.
    Don't take medication for it

Novice
    Also, that's not necessarily true- I've read of many men who try testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) (some on here) who say they experience no noticeable difference or effects.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Additionally, our "normal" levels don't seem to be a reliable measurement. Men today are less hairy, have more cases of gynecomastia etc.. than 40 years ago because testosterone levels are dropping with each generation and there are countless amounts of environmental estrogens that we're exposed to daily. Whether it's the estrogen pumped chickens to produce their breast growth so those raising them are more profitable, or the water we drink which is contaminated with all the birth control women take, or the produce we eat which is sprayed with pesticides, or the plastics we use every day- we can't escape it. There's actually a study out that shows how testosterone levels in American men has dropped 20 % in 20 years. The study ranged from something like 1980 -2000. Meaning a 60 yo man in 2000 has, on average, 20% less testosterone than a 60 yo man from 1980. And who's to say how long this has been going on? birth control was introduced in 1950, I believe, so has this decrease been going on for this long? If so, that would mean our "normal" range for testosterone is actually WAY off. Maybe our testosterone levels should actually be much higher, but the average level when the normal testosterone range was measured and created was already altered by this testosterone decline. Who's to say the average man 100 years ago, before all the environmental estrogen exposure didn't have 40 % higher testosterone than the average man today- but just because the average man today has this lowered level, doesn't mean it's actually normal. If we take the average of 95% or so of the population to determine the normal level, but 100 % of the population's testosterone has been decreasing since the introduction of environmental estrogens, that 95% considered normal, is actually lower than what it would be, say 100 years ago. So our "normal" levels are actually based on skewed results-chemically altered men. So who's to say that normal shouldn't be 40% (or even more) higher than the scale reads today. Certainly this would explain why so many men feel shitty toward the lower end or the normal range, but feel much better at the higher end. Maybe the higher end 800-11000 is what the average man had 100 years ago. and the results we see today are only the result of decline due to all the environmental estrogens we're exposed to every day over the past how-many-ever years.
    Low testosterone in men today is probably real and I beleive it. The artifical hormones in livestock and crops may not help, could be a part of it I just dont know after freezing and cooking how much it actualy affects men, and plastics in cooking and such probably dont help. The big thing is mens overall fitness, look at the amount of men over weight and dont work out. Men 40 years ago had to chop wood, mow lawns with powerless mowers, pretty much had a to work a lot harder at life then we do now, besides eating and going to the shiter everything can be done from your couch. If men were to be in shape and fit I would suspect the numbers to be much higher.

Junior Bodybuilder
    maybe its messing with other hormones in your body. Have you checked prolactin, thyroid yet? Iron defienceny, liver function, cortisol.

Novice
    I can understand that- it makes sense.. I just believe there's more to it than being fit. I mean guys who work out consistently, who decide to to try steroids and don't do post cycle therapy (pct) certainly still are in shape, but report all the signs of low testosterone when their testosterone tanks and estrogen remains elevated. Additionally, although it is a combo deal (exercise and diet), the most important aspect of obtaining a certain body type is diet- you are what you eat. And it's hard to believe all the estrogens we consume and are exposed to, don't negatively effect us. Also, lifestyle didn't seem to change that much from 1980-2000 to produce a 20% testosterone decrease, sure it did change a bit, maybe, but that's a huge jump, there seems to be more to it.

Junior Bodybuilder
    I can understand that- it makes sense.. I just believe there's more to it than being fit. I mean guys who work out consistently, who decide to to try steroids and don't do post cycle therapy (pct) certainly still are in shape, but report all the signs of low testosterone when their testosterone tanks and estrogen remains elevated. Additionally, although it is a combo deal (exercise and diet), the most important aspect of obtaining a certain body type is diet- you are what you eat. And it's hard to believe all the estrogens we consume and are exposed to, don't negatively effect us. Also, lifestyle didn't seem to change that much from 1980-2000 to produce a 20% testosterone decrease, sure it did change a bit, maybe, but that's a huge jump, there seems to be more to it.
    Also one thing to think about is reality and realistic idea on your own body composotion not everybody is going to have 20inch guns and an 8 pack dont matter what they do, a lot of it is genectics as well. You take 10 guys make them eat the same food and work out the same, youll probably have 1-2 guys that look sloppy another 5-6 that are average, 1-2 that are skinny and another 1-2 that are built. So thats something to keep in mind.

But in todays world its like you said the food. I dont like I said am sold or not sold on the hormone thing yet but what I do beleive in is how bad processed food is, you would have a hard tim finding a product without corn syrup in your house or was processed. I rememeber as a kid in 80's we ate a meat, vege, and starch. nothing was ever premade or in a box, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Just general activitiy level, in the 80s TV and cable arent what they are now, no computers, ipods, etc. Even guys that eat right and work out go home and sit on the couch, vs in the 80s there wasnt anything to do inside people played outside worked on things, and were just active. Drive by any neighborhood these days and see how many guys you see outside or playing with their kids etc. To be honest with you its a lifestyle thing. I challenge you to look at your own schedule or others and find people who arent sitting watching the Tube or pc before 8pm daily.

Nate, to me this rant sounds much similar to the one that started your thread with. Why is it easier for woman to get birth control than it is for men to receive TRT. Now your pointing out testosterone levels over the past 100 years have been declining. Just out of curiosity what was life expectancy 100 years ago? I'll bet it was at least 20% less than today. But, that really does not matter either.

What matters is are you a talker (complainer) or a doer (someone who takes positive action) You have still not given us your diet, exercise routine, and body fat%. These are all things you directly control and you don't seem to want to discuss. Yes, I know its easier to talk about everything else. However, you should consider exactly what you could personally take control of in your life that would have the highest potential for making a positive difference. Well, everyone here will tell you diet and exercise are two very important ones. HRT/TRT at 26 should be your last option, not your first.

My last recommendation would be to not be lazy. Don't make excuses. Get off your arse and into the grocery store and the gym. You can buy organic these days with no hormones or pesticides. You also can begin changing your attitude by the very act of doing something to be proud of ie eating better and exercising. Perhaps will help you to start building some confidence and self esteem that you are clearly lacking today. Everyone starts at the beginning. YOUR PAST DOES NOT EQUAL YOUR FUTURE! You control your destiny. Don't waste it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information