Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

Discussion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris31
    Novice
    Donating Blood – Hemoglobin Reduction
    So I just did a whole blood donation at the Red Cross. After being on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for the past 5 months my hemoglobin level was getting a bit high. I believe the range is 13.1-17.5 and my level was 17.5. My local doc said that I should donate blood about every six months to keep the level in the normal range.

FYI- the Red Cross has about a thousand reasons to reject you and not take your blood. One improperly placed “yes” answer on their questionnaire and you’re done. I did not mention that I was on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) although they probably would not reject on this basis. Unless you have a condition that would place the recipient at risk, the less said, the better.

Before even taking the donation, the first thing they do is take a little blood sample from your finger tip and load the sample into a little machine …. and wait for it … check your hemoglobin level! Needless to say, I was a little unnerved by this. I had no idea they were this damn thorough.

Luck for me, the lady was cool. She did ask about the high hemoglobin level. I mentioned that my doctor said it was a bit elevated so I should donate. She was good with this. She clarified, had I said it was testing “outside the normal range” or something like that, I would have been rejected. Saying it’s a little elevated = OK. Apparently they are not supposed to take blood donations from people with hemochromatosis, so they look for high hemoglobin levels. Of course in my case it’s not hemochromatosis – it’s testosterone.

I will probably get some testing done in a few months so I can see how the levels are doing post donation. This is a pain since I am in NJ and have to travel to PA to get testing done by privatemdlabs.
    In the meantime, anyone have an idea of the kind of reduction I might see from a single blood donation session. I would like to keep the levels in the normal range for health reasons … and also to make sure I don’t get turned away on the next donation.

I hear you man, they can be very touchy. The will not deny you soley for saying your on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) though but who knows if they would start asking more questions I don't know.

Novice
    I'm pretty impressed with the skills of the nurse at the Red Cross. No bruising at all. My arm feels good one day after donation. I've had some bruising after having blood drawn - and the needle for blood donation is probably a bit larger. In fact, I feel fine one day after donation. I guess I did really not need all those red blood cells, i.e., having my hemoglobin maxed-out was not really helping anything.

Heavy Lifter
    Thanks for the info. Im in the same boat with the high hemoglobin and have donated once so far. How often do you have to donate to keep the levels in check?

Novice
    My hemoglobin is already getting high again ... so it will be every 2 months for me (56 days). I just cut back on my test since my levels were a bit too high. This should help with the hemo levels. Hopefully it will be every 3-4 months or something like that with the reduced test levels.

Heavy Lifter
    Im going to donate again next week. Will be 5weeks since the first one. Then im getting lab work about 4 weeks after that. I was gonna do double red cell donation but i sissed out and didnt want to have the blood pumped back into my arm.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by lucius11 View Post
    My hemoglobin is already getting high again ... so it will be every 2 months for me (56 days). I just cut back on my test since my levels were a bit too high. This should help with the hemo levels. Hopefully it will be every 3-4 months or something like that with the reduced test levels.
    eat a half grapefruit everyday will help lower rbc and hematocrit hemoglobin

Ingestion of grapefruit lowers elevated... [Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1988] - PubMed - NCBI
    Last edited by chris31; 08-19-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    lucius11 likes this.

Thread Information