Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

Discussion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy

DHT: GOOD or BAD
    We all know that DHT affects scalp/hair follicles in a bad way. What are the "GOOD" aspects of DHT? Do we want to keep it high or block it in our systems? Does testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) raise our natural levels? Some questions for discussion...

Pro Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by IZZOT View Post
    We all know that DHT affects scalp/hair follicles in a bad way. What are the "GOOD" aspects of DHT? Do we want to keep it high or block it in our systems? Does testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) raise our natural levels? Some questions for discussion...
    In a nutshell there are different isomers of DHT that have different binding affinity for the androgen receptor.

So, there are 'types' of DHT.

Iso-enzyme type I is found to have a higher binding affinity to smooth muscle tissue. That is desireable in some respects because it has some beneficial affects on smooth muscle tissue growth and function.

Iso-enzyme type II has a higher binding affinity for the androgen receptors in the scalp and prostrate - we know what effect that has.

There are also variations of DHT isomers that bind to the androgen receptors throughout the CNS - that has some beneficial affects in that it stimulates synaptic function, neurological function, ect.

So, like every other hormone, it serves a purpose (or more than one). Overall, you don't want to eliminate all DHT. Some of us, who value our nice thick heads of hair prefer to limit the activity of Type II DHT through the use of 5-alpha reductaste inhibitors. Propecia/Finasteride is a iso-type specific inhibitor for the type-II iso of DHT.

Where as a drug like Dutasteride is a non-specific DHT inhibitor and will eliminate all isomers of DHT - that is not desirable in most cases.

Pro Bodybuilder
    I would not touch a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. DHT is what makes men men. Men with no DHT yet even high testosterone have horrible problems.

Wow- I didnt know that Propecia/Finasteride is a iso-type specific inhibitor for the type-II iso of DHT. I thought Propecia/Finasteride AND Dutasteride blocked or inhibited ALL types of DHT. Thats very interesting that they are type specific, except for Dutasteride. I am more worried about the consequences of using Propecia/Finasteride as it relates to the Central Nervous System (CNS). Oh well- off to do more research...
    Thanks for the replies.

Thread Information