Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

(Forum for members to discuss dieting information)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Novice
    Does juice fasting cause muscle loss
    Thinking about going on a juice fast and whey protien for about a month or two but don't want to lose muscle. Thanks for any advice

Junior Bodybuilder
    you mean juice as in the kind you can buy at the store right? not aas?

and your diet is going to consist of juice and whey protein only?

Novice
    No i mean a juicer machine to juice veggies and fruits.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    Sounds like a plan if you plan on shitting a waterfall every hour.
    Rosco FleX and You mad Bro like this.

Junior Bodybuilder
    just gonna say this is not a good diet.

especially if you only plan on getting protein from whey. notsureifsrs

Rookie
    Not the route to go. Consider other options in my opinion.

What are your reasons for doing this? And why so long?

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
    What are your reasons for doing this? And why so long?
    Saw fat sick and nearly dead documentary. The guy lost 78lbs in 52 days.

Quote Originally Posted by j-lor View Post
    Saw fat sick and nearly dead documentary. The guy lost 78lbs in 52 days.
    I've read some studies somewhere that concluded that the rate at which you lose weight doesn't really matter when sparing muscle. It concluded that the leaner you get the more muscle you lose, and that it isn't based on how fast the weight is lost per say. Regardless, I figure it'd be pretty damn hard to preserve all of your muscle if you're only drinking whey and juice. Probably a lot of the weight that the guy lost was muscle- a pound of muscle contains far less calories than a pound of muscle.

What's your bf %?

Novice
    What's your bf %?

I have no ideal never ever checked. Im 5'8 195LBs for my height my ideal weight is 180lb to 184 of lean muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by j-lor View Post
    I have no ideal never ever checked. Im 5'8 195LBs for my height my ideal weight is 180lb to 184 of lean muscle.
    Well what would you guestimate your bf is? Unless you're SEVERELY overweight then I would not advice the juice fast. You should stick to a good diet + sprints (Yes, sprints are MUCH better than long, boring cardio. There are plenty of studies to prove it's a better bang for your buck- Less time & more results)

Although here's an interesting study on muscle loss with a large calorie deficit. The subjects were on a liquid diet off 800 calories daily and the ones who preformed resistance training lost ZERO muscle. This lead to the conclusion that dieting doesn't cause muscle loss, and that it is the lack of exercise accompanied with it that causes muscle wasting.

Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training co... [J Am Coll Nutr. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI
    You mad Bro likes this.

Rookie
    Sorry to go a bit off topic but i really dont understand quick fix diets...

The way you look is dependant on the way you live, sure you can use a booster to get you started but in the long term NOTHING will give you better results than a solid diet and discipline. No one ( regardless of how much gear they use) will have a proper shape without a proper workout program combined with a solid diet and most of all the determination to see it thru long term (ie- 2+ years before you see real results).

If you want to drop wieight and keep it off, see a dietician and do research or see a personal trainer.

This just sounds like a recipe for disaster. I've never really bought into the whole detoxing by juice fasting thing. Scares me too much too try.

Junior Bodybuilder
    i agree....if you are overweight you can simply just start eating healthier foods and start working out to melt off weight fast

i quit working out for about 4 1/2 years and done nothing but eat junk and smoke weed everday....i have been working out for about 3 months now and have shed close to 30 pounds....and this is without a strict diet what so ever

all i did was eat healthier foods, somewhat moniter calories and keep my carbs down to a reasonable level...this works great if you are way overweight

now though i am down to around 214 and need to switch to a different diet as i have started to stall out on the weight loss somewhat

bottom line: quick fix diets are pointless....losing weight and keeping it off requires a serious lifestyle change and busting your ass in the gym

Junior Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_bob View Post
    Sorry to go a bit off topic but i really dont understand quick fix diets...

The way you look is dependant on the way you live, sure you can use a booster to get you started but in the long term NOTHING will give you better results than a solid diet and discipline. No one ( regardless of how much gear they use) will have a proper shape without a proper workout program combined with a solid diet and most of all the determination to see it thru long term (ie- 2+ years before you see real results).

If you want to drop wieight and keep it off, see a dietician and do research or see a personal trainer.
    solid comment....but i will say this....most personal trainers i have encountered are retards aside from a few....but hey i am in a shit place for gyms....all of the personal trainers that i respect around where i live all work in the same gym

i have worked out in a few different gyms for school/work reasons (proximity to home) and i must say i have met some full blown idiots....the last personal trainer i encountered came up to me in the middle of a squat set trying to tell me i was going to "fuck my knees up because i was squatting below parallel with such heavy weight" (i was doing warm ups with 135 lmao)

so if you talk to a personal trainer don't blindly follow them....do your best to research the advice you get to make sure you don't have a dumbass training you because THEY ARE OUT THERE....not every dude that is in good shape is smart enough to help somebody either

Junior Bodybuilder
    I've read some studies somewhere that concluded that the rate at which you lose weight doesn't really matter when sparing muscle. It concluded that the leaner you get the more muscle you lose, and that it isn't based on how fast the weight is lost per say. Regardless, I figure it'd be pretty damn hard to preserve all of your muscle if you're only drinking whey and juice. Probably a lot of the weight that the guy lost was muscle- a pound of muscle contains far less calories than a pound of muscle.
    sounds interesting, got a link to this study? just read the other study you posted and enjoyed that, would like to read about this if you can find it again

Proud supporter AML, Ca size_matters's Avatar
    Err... What?

Amateur Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by size_matters View Post
    Err... What?
    HAHA Was wondering WTF this meant

Keeping it Real
    Juice fasting is good for a detox and has a host of positive effects on longevity, it can allso shed alot of wieght quickly but isnt ideal for a bodybuilder. What are your goals??
    I have dabbled in some intermittant fasting combined with some 5x5 fasted training with great results for some quality gains without putting on fat.

Quote Originally Posted by size_matters View Post
    Err... What?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's referring to the fact that protein has 4kcal/g and fat has 9kcal/g. Although honestly I think the energy content of fat isn't really that important because IMO it's more than just calories in vs calories out. It's kind of odd to talk about the energy content of muscle though because nobody wants to be using it for energy.
    You mad Bro likes this.

Keeping it Real
    There are many other factors such as the thermogenic effect of food, effects of certain foods on hormones ect. but I think calories in vs calories out is an excellent base for dieting without having to factor in too many different effects of food. Provided you get all your macronutrients and vitamin requirements of course.
    You mad Bro likes this.

Huh? My post got deleted. It was full of information & answered the questions on a pound of muscle not equaling 3500 calories & all that crap you guys were asking about... Too lazy to repost the info. Long story short- a pound of muscle is about 600 calories cuz it's about 70% water. 30% is other stuff besides water- carbs, protein, fats, minerals, etc... so 136.2 grams are not water. A gram of carbs & protein is 4 calories and fat is 9 so multiply 136.2 by approximately 4 and you get 544.8 calories per pound of muscle. I'm sure it's slightly higher cuz I didn't include the fat in the calculations. (Don't know what percent of the remaining stuff is carbs, protein, fats, etc...)
    Last edited by Clamp; 08-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Keeping it Real
    I just read the nutritional information panel on the food to find out the calories, no math required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information