Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

(Forum for members to discuss dieting information)

"Who is your Daddy and what does he do?" bigbuffstaples's Avatar
    Turkey and Tiredness..??
    My sister said the other day that she didn't wanna eat turkey because she was about to go train for some triathlon and there is something in the turkey that makes you tired. I was like "Yeah, right, turkey makes you tired from eating it", then my mom said no she's right.... does anyone know about this and what it is in the turkey that apparently makes you tired?

Novice
    I've heard that a few times before too. I don't know how it makes you tired though. . .

Pro Bodybuilder sparklylegwarmers's Avatar
    it's the tryptophan in the turkey that she's talking about.

however....

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

Turkey does have the makings of a natural sedative in it, an amino acid called tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, meaning that the body cannot manufacture it. The body has to get tryptophan and other essential amino acids from food. Tryptophan helps the body produce the B-vitamin niacin, which, in turn, helps the body produce serotonin, a remarkable chemical that acts as a calming agent in the brain and plays a role in sleep. So you might think that if you eat a lot of turkey, your body would produce more serotonin and you would feel calm and want a nap.

That was the conclusion that led many people to begin taking a dietary supplement of tryptophan in the 1980s as a way to treat insomnia, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned tryptophan supplements in 1990 because of an outbreak of eosinophilia-myalgia, a syndrome that causes muscle pain and even death. The FDA said contaminated tryptophan supplements caused the outbreak.

But nutritionists and other experts say that the tryptophan in turkey probably won't trigger the body to produce more serotonin because tryptophan works best on an empty stomach. The tryptophan in a Thanksgiving turkey has to vie with all the other amino acids that the body is trying to use. So only part of the tryptophan makes it to the brain to help produce serotonin.

It is the whole traditional Thanksgiving meal that can produce that after-dinner lethargy. The meal is quite often heavy and high in carbohydrates -- from mashed potatoes, bread, stuffing and pie -- and your body is working hard to digest that food. Also, if you drink alcohol with your dinner, you will likely feel its sedative effect, too.

There is a way to take advantage of the tryptophan in turkey. If you have trouble getting to sleep one night while there is still leftover turkey in the refrigerator, you could have a late snack of turkey and that, nutritionists say, might be the right amount of tryptophan on an empty stomach to help produce some serotonin.

yes yes, I was looking for the exact info on that too Sparkly!
    I had turkey overdose on thanksgiving. slept like a babby.

"Who is your Daddy and what does he do?" bigbuffstaples's Avatar
    Weird,,, so it is true,,, i guess if i can't sleep i'll just eat some turkey. Thanks for the info.

never happened to me

man i was full for like 3 days after thanksgiving this year... haha...and i remember one year i puked i got so full! lolz.. i felt much better after letting it all out though... whew!

Junior Bodybuilder
    Almost every major protein source has high amounts of L-Tryptophan. In order for L-Tryptophan to really do its thing in respect to sleep, it needs to be ingested independent of other amino acids or other food on an empty stomach.

The tiredness from Thanksgiving dinner is primarily due to the hellacious amounts of carbs most people take in along with their turkey.

i was so strict with my diet that on thanksgiving with my family, i ate only the turkey, potatoes(boiled not mashed coz of the milk), turnip(no sugar of course) and drank nothing but water.....

I think u have to eat a lot of it for it to have that effect

uniquemicals
Thread Information