Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

Easily share your videos with everyone, public or private
Watch
Better than TV! Watch what you want, when you want!
Upload
Quickly upload and tag videos in almost any video format
rui products

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Junior Bodybuilder
    Default Thyroid is it a disadvantage??
    Hey hoping some of the gurus here can give some advice.
    I have being diagnosed with borderline hypothyroidism tsh ranging between 4-7 and t3 ranging from below the range to just in it 58nmol/l upwards.

I have being told that treatment is "not necessary" until TSH hits 10. In my opinion the range is too broad as it is besides extending it.

Anyway for a person who wants to gain muscle and obviously not fat am i at a disadvantage. My metabolism is already quite high.
    I know T3 causes increased nutrient uptake by the muscles but also increases SHBG and energy utilisation.

What do you guys think.
    Should I do anything.

Thanks a lot
    Maxgain

You were diagnosed with hypothyroidism but "YOU" know your metabolism is already quite high???

Junior Bodybuilder
    yeah i need over 3500cals a day to bulk and if i cut down on meals to 3 a day i lose half a stone a week

You already have clinical hypothyroidism (that is, your thyroid is having to work very hard). You should get treated.

If you find that you need more calories, then eat more calories.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Yeah id like to but the doc wont do it says ui have to WAIT till I hit a tsh of ten in the meantime just monitor it once a year. I have no prob upping the cals just wondering what sort of disadvantage im at due to this not getting treated??

DO YOU KNOW WHAT HYPOTHYROIDISM IS??? It is very doubtful that you need more kcals as this condition will cause you to have a slow metabolism!!!

Something your saying does not add up!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkMoneyshot
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT HYPOTHYROIDISM IS??? It is very doubtful that you need more kcals as this condition will cause you to have a slow metabolism!!!

Something your saying does not add up!
    I agree.

Hypothyroidism= low metabolism

Hyperthyroidism= hight metabolism

Junior Bodybuilder
    My friend had a thryoid problem. Natural Hormones helped beyond my wildest imagination.

Olympian Bodybuilder
    It sounds to me that your reason for considering adding T3 or other thyroid medication is that you're concerned that your nutrient uptake may be inhibited if you don't. IMO that is not a valid concern for you. I think the "nutrient uptake" caused by T3 is far overrated. For example, IMO way too many people think a bulking cycle will be enhanced by adding T3. They may stay leaner, but I tend to doubt they will gain more LBM.

If you decide you want to cut, then using T3 may make sense for you for the usual reasons, but it appears to me that following your doc's advice makes the most sense given the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxgain
    Yeah id like to but the doc wont do it says ui have to WAIT till I hit a tsh of ten in the meantime just monitor it once a year. I have no prob upping the cals just wondering what sort of disadvantage im at due to this not getting treated??
    Sounds like you need a new physician, as you seem to clearly have subclinical hypothyroidism:

http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/showt...hp?t=134234029

Olympian Bodybuilder
    I want to clarify my post. I made no attempt to determine whether you in fact have hypothyroidism and did not consider the possibility that your doc may be malpracticing. If mranak is right, then it sounds like a second opinion from another doc is in order.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Thanks for the advice Ill just larify my point as there is some confusion. I understand what hypothroidism is I was explaining i have clinical borderline hypothyroidism despite the fact I have a fast metabolism.
    I was then telling mranak i would have no problem upping cals if my levels were put to normal physiological ranges.
    I am asking about the effects of my thyroid being long term out of normal physiological range not tot kae t3 just for a cycle to get cut but for long term medication.

It worries me that the doctor will not treat this and she is not the first though they are in the same clinic its college so seeing them is free instead of 45 euro each time.

Mranak can you link that post again as its coming up as a dud for me thanks.

Maybe if i tell my doctor if they dont do anything ill self treat they might take the finger out and follow their "hypocritical oath"

Quote Originally Posted by Maxgain
    Mranak can you link that post again as its coming up as a dud for me thanks.
    That board is apparently having database trouble, but here is the thread in google's cache:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:p...ient=firefox-a

And here is the article it links to:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...a/newrange.htm

The usual 'normal' range according to LabCorp is 0.350-5.500, but perhaps your lab is using a different sacle.

I'm not a medical professional, but for an accurate reading of your complete thyroid situation, it seems reasonable to me that you would also want free T3, free T4, and probably reverse t3. TSH is an indirect indicator of actual thyroid levels.

With a level of 4-7 you are borderline hyper thyroidism. 5 is the max on the normal scale. MY father was a 10. He had to get on meds to slow it down.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Thanks yeah 5.5 is the upper of the range we have but I was told that it was a very "general range".

"It is like height there is a general range but we do not treat everyone outside it or call people above it abnormal it is the same for the thyroid. There is a lot of confusion about when it should be treated but generally unless you have antibodies present we will not treat until you reach a TSH of ten"

I was actaully too in shock and dumbfounded to argue but just stared at her blankly.

My problem is I dont know who to turn to as this is the second doctor like this.

It is a very general range. 0.5-5 or 5.5 is the normal range.

I know there are herbal and other over the counter ways to speed it up so I would think there must be some home remedy ways to slow it down.

really i think your missing the point - You will not have a fast metabolsim with Hypothyroidism. Its just not possible, Its like me saying a drank a 1/5 of Jack Daniels but i'm not drunk-

Its an oxymoron - Do you get what i'm saying.

Pro Bodybuilder
    I would go to the doctor they can give you synthroid for your thyroid and it will regulat it. After you get it regulated then you can take t3.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkMoneyshot
    really i think your missing the point - You will not have a fast metabolsim with Hypothyroidism. Its just not possible
    Well he is probably like most others that claim to have a fast metabolism: they just don't eat enough.

That said, hypothyroidism and subclinical hypothyroidism are two different things. This guy might have reasonable free T3 levels, but his high TSH nevertheless indicates that his thyroid is working very hard and he can benefit from medication.

Or even less likely but totally possible, he may have hyperthyroidism. But that is extremely unlikely with his high TSH levels.

Oh i know he probably over estimates how much you eat- I'm just trying to get him to understand that he can't have both.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Well you tell me then if i have a fast metabolism before i sarted bodybuilding I ate like the average Joe didnt care what i ate and was 4% bodyfat, now I have to eat 3500cals a day just for maintenance. I dont overestimate what i eat as i weighed everything before i knew portion sizes and put it into fitday. I do however find it hard gaining muscle over fat when i go over this amount ie approx 4000cals a day bulking

So while you may describe it as an oxymoron I know my metabolism and i know my blood results .

There is not a chance of hyperthyroidism as along with tsh being high t3 stays borderline low or even outside the range sepending on the tsh levels when measured.

Maxgain

You were 4% Bodyfat huh - With that comment i know that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Junior Bodybuilder
    Oh please i am looking for constructive advice not someone to call me a liar.
    Whats your problem?
    I originally got the blood tests because i was so thin and found it so hard for me to put on weight. I expected hyperthyroidism myself but it was not i am explaining my situation as it is so please do not be so patronising and condescending. Its not a question whether i have hypothyroidism or not 4 blood tests in 2 years prove it. What i am asking is what i can do with my doctor refusing to treat. She probably has the same ignorant mindset as you wont believe the results because i am actually thin instaed of fat.
    Before i sarted bodybuilding i was 6 ft and 122 pounds. Every single bone on my body was visible and i did not have a shred of fat or muscle.

The problem is, 4% bodyfat is basically impossible. But anyway, you could always self medicate, though I wouldn't recommend it.

Thread Information