Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Question time off before strength comp
    curious as to how much time anybody who competes and is on cycle takes off before a strength competition. I realize you have to listen to your body, but I'm just curious what the average time people take off is. not bodybuilding show, this is a Highland Games strength event on the 27th as in next week. no current injuries to speak of at this point. little shoulder tenderness but it's always been there...lol

Amateur Bodybuilder
    I've never competed on gear (may do my first geared meet this weekend!!!) but I will say a few things. One, that naturally, I can train every lift E3D (which is what I'm doing geared right now too). And two, that I cannot max out every workout... but I can max out every other workout. In other words, every 6 days. Once again, this is regarding me when natural.

Hope this benefits you in some way, I just wanted to offer my personal experiences is all. For what its worth, people always recommend doing a deload in the week up until a comp. Either that or you plan a periodized cycle so that you peak on meet day (i.e. running the Smolov Jr cycle for 3 weeks and competing on the very last day of your cycle).

Quote Originally Posted by MN87 View Post
    I've never competed on gear (may do my first geared meet this weekend!!!) but I will say a few things. One, that naturally, I can train every lift E3D (which is what I'm doing geared right now too). And two, that I cannot max out every workout... but I can max out every other workout. In other words, every 6 days. Once again, this is regarding me when natural.

Hope this benefits you in some way, I just wanted to offer my personal experiences is all. For what its worth, people always recommend doing a deload in the week up until a comp. Either that or you plan a periodized cycle so that you peak on meet day (i.e. running the Smolov Jr cycle for 3 weeks and competing on the very last day of your cycle).
    thanks for the info brother. what do you consider a reasonable deload? I've heard a lot of different opinions on this . thanks again.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    I mean I personally have no experience with deloads (I generally recover from my workouts very well), but any good periodization program will include a deload of some sort. So maybe just google up a Sheiko routine (or any other routine) and see what they advise. EliteFTS has some good info, I'm sure you're already familiar with em.

But I'd imagine it can be pretty versatile. Some people follow something structured, some people take the whole week off, and still others just stick to brisk paced high rep circuit training with a moderately loaded barbell (push presses, squats, etc w just a plate).

I'd imagine that's the whole beauty of the reload. Then again, this applies moreso to powerlifting, but I'm sure you can just adapt the ideas to strongman type events... or both, hell.

Quote Originally Posted by MN87 View Post
    I mean I personally have no experience with deloads (I generally recover from my workouts very well), but any good periodization program will include a deload of some sort. So maybe just google up a Sheiko routine (or any other routine) and see what they advise. EliteFTS has some good info, I'm sure you're already familiar with em.
    a
    But I'd imagine it can be pretty versatile. Some people follow something structured, some people take the whole week off, and still others just stick to brisk paced high rep circuit training with a moderately loaded barbell (push presses, squats, etc w just a plate).

I'd imagine that's the whole beauty of the reload. Then again, this applies moreso to powerlifting, but I'm sure you can just adapt the ideas to strongman type events... or both, hell.
    thanks man,
    I think mentally taking the week off would drive me crazy, although it seems like the most popular theme I have come across reading. last year I took four days and it almost drove me crazy, thinking I was losing strength, and of course on cycle you're geared to go, so I think I might just try some light stuff for the week. thanks for the help.

i usually take 3-5 days off and try to focus on diet and hydration for those days

most people say take the week off. im like you, if i took the week off i would loose it. i do swim and steam/sauna on the days before a meet. kinda sorta helps my body loosen up in a way

peak at meet day

most important
    come out like a caged animal

make us proud brutha

Who dares wins! TheFitnessLife4ever's Avatar
    Take a couple days off, carb up, hydrate, and by the meet youll be ready.

uniquemicals
Thread Information