Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Trenbolone for HRT?
    Found this... Thought it was pretty interesting. Whaddya think Chip?

The use of the anabolic steroid trenbolone has a long history in the bodybuilding but it has never really been considered a steroid suitable for therapeutic use in medicine. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved tren for use in humans. The media has often demonized it as a dangerous veterinarian steroid never intended for human use. However, the perception of trenbolone may soon change with the publication of a favorable study in a major scientific journal.

Joshua Yarrow and his colleagues at the University of Florida feel that trenbolone may be a viable alternative to testosterone for androgen replacement therapy. They are set to publish their study results in the February 2011 issue of the American Journal of Physiology – Endocrinology and Metabolism.

The researchers report that trenbolone enanthate may have certain advantages over testosterone that may make it an appealing treatment option for some individuals. Bodybuilders may be familiar with many of these findings.

Trenbolone is not adversely affected by the aromatase or 5-alpha reductase enzymes that metabolize testosterone into estradiol and dihydrotestosterone, respectively. Bodybuilders have enjoyed tren for years precisely because they are able to avoid steroid side effects related to estrogen and DHT.

Yarrow reports that low-dose trenbolone enanthate effectively produces anabolic effects in muscle size and partially maintains bone mineral density without causing prostate enlargement or polycythemia in castrated laboratory rats.

Supraphysiological dosages of testosterone enanthate were required to produce anabolic effects similar to low-dose trenbolone administration. However, negative side effects of prostate enlargement and elevated hemoglobin became problematic at this dose of testosterone.

Selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) may be the current darlings of scientific research into alternative options for androgen replacement therapy, but University of Florida researchers are excited by the “SARM-like potential” of trenbolone.

They suggest that the actions of trenbolone are similar to selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs). Low-dose trenbolone is called “SARM-like” because of the positive anabolic effects in muscle and bone without negative side androgenic side effects of prostate enlargement or polycythemia.

Trenbolone may have benefits over testosterone in terms of androgen receptor activation, the upregulation of growth factors such as IGF-1 and fibroblast growth factor, and anticatabolic mechanisms.

Competitive bodybuilders have often preferred using trenbolone in the weeks prior to a bodybuilding competition due to its purported effects at accelerating fat loss.

The current study confirmed that trenbolone has more potent lipolytic effects on visceral adipose tissue than testosterone milligram per milligram. Furthermore, visceral fat loss increased in a dose-dependent manner with trenbolone. In other words, the more tren used, the greater the fat loss.

Trenbolone’s lack of aromatization, while generally desirable, has often been problematic for bodybuilders who have used trenbolone as the only steroid in a cycle. Therefore, most bodybuilders include an aromatizable steroid such as testosterone or Dianabol in their trenbolone steroid stacks.

Researchers also recognize that the lack of aromatization could be a potential problem if trenbolone is used alone in androgen replacement therapy. In their study, trenbolone only provided a partial bone protective effect when administered to castrated rats. The authors attribute this to the non-aromatizable nature of trenbolone.

They conclude that low-dose trenbolone enanthate treatment has SARM-like effects on muscle/fat body composition. Androgen replacement therapy with low-dose trenbolone could potentially produce anabolic gains comparable to supraphysiological testosterone treatment without the associated side effects. The therapeutic risk-benefit profile of low-dose trenbolone appears superior to supraphysiological testosterone treatment; however, additional research into this treatment option is necessary.

The researchers should be applauded for dispassionately and objectively researching the potential of trenbolone in androgen replacement therapy. Trenbolone is an anabolic steroid that has been demonized more than others due to its limited use (in pellet implants used by veterinarians to increase muscle growth in livestock). Fortunately, they looked past the political stigma associated with trenbolone to revisit a therapeutic use for an old steroid.

Special thanks to Michael Scally, M.D. for his diligence in staying on top of anabolic steroid medical research and sharing this study with MESO-Rx.

Yarrow JF et. al. 7{beta}-hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one (Trenbolone) Exhibits Tissue Selective Anabolic Activity: Effects on Muscle, Bone, Adiposity, Hemoglobin, and Prostate. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]

La possiedo il figlio Italiano SPO's Avatar
    Interesting stuff. I can't wait to see the February 2011 issue of the American Journal of Physiology ***8211; Endocrinology and Metabolism

Junior Bodybuilder
    This is great if it turns out ot be true.

Senior Moderator
    Good find Massive..aqnxiously awaiting thiese findings...
    Age 50
    5 11

TRT
    PSL Test c 125 a week
    Hcg as needed

very interesting..good info

Pro Bodybuilder
    Very interesting. I too, am curious to see the final report. Thanks for the info.

Still acting 1/2 my age Epic Ed's Avatar
    No mention of the effects on liver and kidney function, and other deleterious effects, though. Tren is a harsh chemical and I'm surprised that legit scientific research didn't study the problems in addition to the potential benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Ed View Post
    No mention of the effects on liver and kidney function, and other deleterious effects, though. Tren is a harsh chemical and I'm surprised that legit scientific research didn't study the problems in addition to the potential benefits.
    Valid point. My guess is because there aren't many studies done on long term use of tren. Clearly there's already studies being done though. Besides- there's money riding on these studies... Shouldn't be long before they exist

Read this a week or two ago. It's all over all the boards. There is no way. You have low test so you use a compound to shut it down more. I doubt it unless this is added to a testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) test dose.

Sounds good with a test dose but that's being sceptical.

I don't think it would be used in place of test, more likely along side it...

Still acting 1/2 my age Epic Ed's Avatar
    Yeah, there's no way it has legit application as TRT. The focus of the study was almost exclusively on the ability of tren E to facilitate hypertrophy, with hypertrophy being assumed as the primary goal of treatment.

Having just finished a test/tren E cycle in December I can say for certain that the tren had some sides worth considering. I just got blood work back this week. It was taken 8 weeks post cycle and my kidney and liver values are still elevated. Not horribly so, but still above reference range in BUN and AST.

Still give you props massive interesting read. Maybe a low dose with test could provide some benefit in retaining muscle mass and test to stabilize hormone level.

WOW excellent read,.

Very interesting.

Sweet - at least they're doing studies on the benefits

tren long term cant be good!???? would be interesting to see their methods and findings etc.

RJ
    Funny they don't mention the effects on prolactin, and all the subsuquent negativity caused by them, which are worse than any other side produced by 19nors IMO.

Also guessing since they didn't site him as DOCTOR Joshua Yarrow, and since this was pushed around by MESO-RX, that this may have been done by some students (bodybuilders perhaps) by curiousity. Not that that is bad, just saying. i wouldn't put much stock in this.

Of course, let us not forget the goal of HRT. Its not to build muscle. I see this as a far-fecthed shot at getting something 'new' published. lol

Good read though Massive. interestingto say the least.

Yea I don't know how likely this will be but it's a start I suppose. I figured it would be a good read for you fellas.

Novice
    Tren seems harsh for TRT. I am sure it would be helpful to build muscle in cases of body wasting, but I thought it was always supposed to run with Test. Why run two compounds rather than one for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)? I am not stating, I am wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Tren seems harsh for TRT. I am sure it would be helpful to build muscle in cases of body wasting, but I thought it was always supposed to run with Test. Why run two compounds rather than one for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)? I am not stating, I am wondering.
    Some people run low dose deca w testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for it's benefits on your joints. It doesn't seem so far fetched to consider tren too... Even at low doses it's an incredible compound

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive123 View Post
    Some people run low dose deca w testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for it's benefits on your joints. It doesn't seem so far fetched to consider tren too... Even at low doses it's an incredible compound
    Interesting. I am on Test testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and never considered running more than one compound. Time for me to do more reading.

Thread Information