Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

Easily share your videos with everyone, public or private
Watch
Better than TV! Watch what you want, when you want!
Upload
Quickly upload and tag videos in almost any video format
rui products

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Rookie
    Default Steroid effects on Blood??
    hey guys im still a newb and im trying to get some info for a friend who is not so computer savy, so please help me out as much as u can, and try not to laugh at my ignorance.

My friends approx. 6ft tall 200 lbs 14 % bodyfat, lifting for years, some steroid use, but he was recently diagnosed with a blood disorder and is now on anti-coagulants ( blood thinners) all i need to know is what effect the hormones Deca durabolin and winstrol have on the blood ( thickening or thinning) so he can regulate his meds. i dont need a moral speech on why he shouldnt be using gear with a blood condition. like i said, im inquiring for a friend.

damn that sux. did they say that long term use of steroids made his blood thicker? thats what it sounds like to me, and its very possible.
    Need TRT? >>>>>>> Call IMT >>>>>>>>>Real Programs, Real Results

IncreaseMyT.com >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 866-206-9926

Novice
    He's probaby got Factor V Leiden thrombophilia causing hypercoagulability where he's at risk for clots such as DVT and other issues. Factor V Leiden is the most common although there are several.
    Steroids will make the blood thicker but I dont think its a big deal as long as he has his PT-INR checked on a more frequent basis. He has to have that checked anyhow as certain foods can throw it off, particular green vegetables high in Vitamin K.

So as long as he takes care to make sure he is not too thick (or thin) with regular bloodwork, it shouldnt be a problem. I suspect it WILL make him more hypercoagulable but adjusting his warfarin/coumadin dose will be sufficient to control the changes.

Here is just a brief cutnpaste on this question from elsewhere
    Q: "I am 54 years old and had an unexplained leg DVT (deep vein thrombosis) 4 years ago. I was treated with warfarin for 6 months and I have done fine since then. Because of a decrease in libido I was recently tested and found to have low testosterone levels in my blood. Is it safe for me to take testosterone or does it increase my risk for another blood clot?"

A: Physiological testosterone replacement therapy does not appear to increase the risk for blood clots.

1. Physiological (low dose) testosterone replacement Physiological testosterone replacement does not adversely affect blood coagulation status (reference 1) and does not appear to lead to an increased risk of venous or arterial thrombosis. Thrombosis is not listed as a potential side effect in drug compendiums on and package inserts of testosterone. Furthermore, a 2006 "Clinical Practice Guideline" (ref. 2) also does not list thrombosis as a side effect of testosterone replacement therapy, or a previous history of thrombosis as a reason to not give testosterone replacement therapy.

2. Anabolic steroids in athletes Anabolic steroids are chemical variants of testosterone. They are taken in various doses, typically by athletes, to enhance muscle mass and physical performance. Several cardiovascular complications have been reported to occur in people using anabolic steroids, including high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks (myocardial infarction), and pulmonary embolism (reference 1). It is impossible to get a real sense of how frequent these complications occur, as it is difficult to find athletes for cardiovascular investigations who admit that they have taken anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids taken long-term may increase the risk for arteriosclerosis (= hardening of the arteries), because they change the metabolism of blood lipids: the bad chlolesterol LDL increases and the good cholesterol HDL decreases (ref. 3). Anabolic steroids may also lead to increased blood clot formation, even when taken only short-term, because they (a) increase the level of clotting factors (= pro-coagulant factors), (b) decrease levels of the blood clot-dissolving proteins (= fibrinolytic proteins) that we all have, and (c) make blood platelets more sticky (= lead to increased platelet aggregation) (ref. 4).

References:
    1. Smith AM et al. Testosterone does not adversely affect fibrinogen or tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) levels in 46 men with chronic stable angina. Eur J Endocrinol. 2005 Feb;152(2):285-91.
    2. Bhasin S et al. Testosterone therapy in adult men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.2006 Jun;91(6):1995-2010. Erratum in: J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006 Jul;91(7):2688.
    3. Glazer G. Atherogenic effects of anabolic steroids on serum lipid levels. Arch Intern Med 1991;151:1925-33. 4. Ferenchick GS. Anabolic-androgenic steroids and thrombosis: is there a connection? Med Hypothesis 1991;
    35:27-31.

But the bottom line is that he will just need to have his regular blood checks a bit more frequently and the dosage of the warfarin/coumadin adjusted based on the test results. Many offices can do that with a simple fingercheck blood draw
    Last edited by UODucks; 12-07-2010 at 01:14 AM.

good first post UoD

one thing i have to say though is your Q and A answers the question as if the person was going to take physiological doses, not supra physiological doses.................that changes everything.
    Need TRT? >>>>>>> Call IMT >>>>>>>>>Real Programs, Real Results

IncreaseMyT.com >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 866-206-9926

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by THE-DET-OAK View Post
    good first post UoD

one thing i have to say though is your Q and A answers the question as if the person was going to take physiological doses, not supra physiological doses.................that changes everything.
    Thanks and I agree, thats what the second paragraph addresses. That it WILL in increase his clotting.
    But patients on warfarin/coumadin which is what 99% of people on bloodthinners take always have Pt INR (Prothrombin Time and International Normalized Ratio) tested every 2-4 weeks as diet will affect the clotting time.
    Having it tested weekly or every 2 weeks will reveal if he is getting too thick and the dose is tweaked accordingly.
    So he will be getting the necessary tests done anyhow and I am confident that it will not be a dramatic delta in between his tests causing a problem.
    If he is doing his bloodwork as he should, there wont be an issue. It's good to know that it probably will thicken but that can happen through diet alone, hence the PT-INR testing that he is already scheduled to take.

I dont see a reason to not take AAS based on the fact he is getting regular bloodwork to monitor his clotting times and tweak his meds accordingly. Nearly every patient on bloodthinners will have their dosages tweaked b/c of dietary and other factors. AAS will just be another one of those factors that will influence his PT INR

I was tempted to have my first be a thread asking to critique my roidstore anvar 10 and d-anabol cycle but I just couldnt do it
    Last edited by UODucks; 12-07-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Rebuilding...continually Irentat's Avatar
    UOD,

I like your input. Stay around. Good to have others talking the physical effects of AAS. Steroids have helped me immensely but am very aware of their downsides and monitor.

BTW, GO DUCKS! I predict an Auburn ass kicking!

Rookie
    thanks guys so much, and your right, he is on coumadin, and gets bi-weekly bloodtests. your input has helped immensly!

Thread Information