Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Junior Bodybuilder
    Liver enzyme readings....article?
    I was trying to find the article by the World Health Organizaton (WHO) that stated the error American scientists made while studying the effect of anabolic steroids in humans. They determined that in the first studies (early 80s I bleieve), the scientists tested subjects liver enzymes. The error was that they tested them right after extreme exercise and lifting. What the WHO determined was that the enzymes produced from the muscles will mirror the enzymes produced by the liver, so therefore elevated enzymes were coming from both the liver and the muscles. They concluded that the liver damage caused by anabolic steroids,reported by the American scientists were incorrect. The conclusion was that there was no liver damage. This must explain why all these liver damged athletes are still alive and well today. I need to fin d the article. I read it a few years ago and I think it was done by WHO, but not sure. Does anyone know where I could search for it?

Administrator
    Site Manager
    Not the article, but this explains what they were talking about.......basically that ALT & AST levels should not be a concern, that GGT is the one to watch.

Originally posted by ulter
    If you are a heavy weight lifter it doesn't mean anything. In fact, for those who train with weights and train hard AST and ALT levels shouldn't even be considered. You're only concern would be an elevated GGT level.
    The reason is that your when your liver is working hard it lets out ALT and AST enzymes and that's what they are measuring. The problem is that your muscles release the same enzymes when they are damaged by weightlifting and there is not way to tell where them apart. GGT however is only released by your liver. 90% of physicians don't know this.

Originally posted by DrJMW
    Ulter is correct. I look at AST, ALT, and GGT routinely for blood testing. The GGT is the most telling regarding the liver. ALT is second. AST is found in almost all tissues, so it can be elevated just from your training. The most common cause of elevation of ALT I see is excessive or harsh use of orals.
    Last edited by StoneColdNTO; 01-25-2004 at 10:52 AM.
    Stone Cold..............................Never Too Old

Disclaimer: Steroidology.com does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.

my ast and alt levels are pretty much high everytime i get checked but my ggt has stayed normal though [knocking on wood]

i had more blood taken and a ton of pics taken this past summer do to high ast and alt #'s and they found everything to be alright [again knocking on wood]

Clin J Sport Med. 1999 Jan; 9(1): 34-9. Related Articles, Links

Anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity: is it overstated?

Dickerman RD, Pertusi RM, Zachariah NY, Dufour DR, McConathy WJ.

The Department of Biomedical Science, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth 76107-2699, USA.

OBJECTIVE: There have been numerous reports of hepatic dysfunction secondary to anabolic steroid use based on elevated levels of serum aminotransferases. This study was conducted to distinguish between serum aminotransaminase elevations secondary to intense resistance training and anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity in elite bodybuilders. DESIGN: This was a case-control study of serum chemistry profiles from bodybuilders using and not using anabolic steroids with comparisons to a cohort of medical students and patients with hepatitis. PARTICIPANTS: The participants were bodybuilders taking self-directed regimens of anabolic steroids (n = 15) and bodybuilders not taking steroids (n = 10). Blood chemistry profiles from patients with viral hepatitis (n = 49) and exercising and nonexercising medical students (592) were used as controls. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The focus in blood chemistry profiles was aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels. RESULTS: In both groups of bodybuilders, CK, AST, and ALT were elevated, whereas GGT remained in the normal range. In contrast, patients with hepatitis had elevations of all three enzymes: ALT, AST, and GGT. Creatine kinase (CK) was elevated in all exercising groups. Patients with hepatitis were the only group in which a correlation was found between aminotransferases and GGT. CONCLUSION: Prior reports of anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity based on elevated aminotransferase levels may have been overstated, because no exercising subjects, including steroid users, demonstrated hepatic dysfunction based on GGT levels. Such reports may have misled the medical community to emphasize steroid-induced hepatotoxicity when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels and disregard muscle damage. For these reasons, when evaluating hepatic function in cases of anabolic steroid therapy or abuse, CK and GGT levels should be considered in addition to ALT and AST levels as essential elements of the assessment.

----------------------

J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2001 Jul; 101(7): 391-4. Related Articles, Links

Evaluation of aminotransferase elevations in a bodybuilder using anabolic steroids: hepatitis or rhabdomyolysis?

Pertusi R, Dickerman RD, McConathy WJ.

Department of Medicine, University of North Texas Health Science Center, 3500 Camp Bowie Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76107-2699, USA.

The use of anabolic steroids among competitive athletes, particularly bodybuilders, is widespread. Numerous reports have noted "hepatic" dysfunction secondary to anabolic steroid use based on elevated serum aminotransferase levels. The authors' objective was to assess whether primary care physicians accurately distinguish between anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity and serum aminotransferase elevations that are secondary to acute rhabdomyolysis resulting from intense resistance training. Surveys were sent to physicians listed as practicing family medicine or sports medicine in the yellow pages of seven metropolitan areas. Physicians were asked to provide a differential diagnosis for a 28-year-old, anabolic steroid-using male bodybuilder with an abnormal serum chemistry profile. The blood chemistries showed elevated aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels, and normal gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) levels. In the physician survey (n = 84 responses), 56% failed to mention muscle damage or muscle disease as a potential diagnosis, despite the markedly elevated CK level of the patient. Sixty-three percent indicated liver disease as their primary diagnosis despite normal GGT levels. Prior reports of anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity that were based on aminotransferase elevations may have overstated the role of anabolic steroids. Correspondingly, the medical community may have been led to emphasize anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity and disregard muscle damage when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels. Therefore, when evaluating enzyme elevations in patients who use anabolic steroids, physicians should consider the CK and GGT levels as essential elements in distinguishing muscle damage from liver damage.

Solid posts here! Good info for the bb'ing community!

Novice
    excellent post.

hhajdo, great stuff as always

Thread Information