Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

Easily share your videos with everyone, public or private
Watch
Better than TV! Watch what you want, when you want!
Upload
Quickly upload and tag videos in almost any video format
rui products

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Default do steroids lower your immune system?
    someone told me yes, I have a problem doing juice in the winter months, last winter I was sick alot more than usual.during the warm months I have no problem but now I'm just too woried to do a cycle in the winter.I've been off since oct and so far I'm good but last winter I was sick seemed like every other week, any opinions appreciated

Steroids make the whole immune system less active (which can be very useful in illnesses where there is an immune component - a huge number). Steroids are the ultimate anti-inflammatory drugs.

read this if you have lots of time to waste, its explained in great details : Steroids To Treat Arthritis Information on Medicinenet.com

WHINER
    [QUOTE=g1234;2025562]Steroids make the whole immune system less active

thats no true cuz they prescribe steroids to hiv patients to help build their immune system

estray
    Quote Originally Posted by g1234 View Post
    read this if you have lots of time to waste, its explained in great details : [url=http://www.medicinenet.com/steroids_to_treat_arthritis/article.htm]Steroids To Treat Arthritis Information on Medicinenet.com[/url]
    Wrong type of steroids. Theyre referring to Corticosteroids, not anabolic. Huge difference.

in this previous link they indeed refer to corticoids but the same reasoning stays for anabolic steroids or steroids in general

Steroids - The Truth about Steroids | Globalchange.com | Steroids, Steroid, Often, Body
    Steroid immune system - Long-term steroid and immune system suppression

Amateur Bodybuilder
    I haven't done a lot of reading on the topic, but I would guess that they do. I've also noticed it tougher to cycle during the winter months when it's cold because I have a hard time fighting of sickness.

estray
    Im far less sick when on cycle. My kids have been sick as shit for 2 weeks and Im good to go. Normally i get whatever they have in a few days.

i dont know about all steroids but i speak from experience when i say thet when testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) raised my test levels back up in the upper middle range my immune system benefited a lot.
    NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

VAR ONLY CYCLES ARE ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH A VAGINA.

[quote=...;2025566]
    steroids make the whole immune system less active

thats no true cuz they prescribe steroids to hiv patients to help build their immune system
    bumpp!!
    Follow me on Twitter for advanced in-depth peptide, supplement and AAS knowledge, along with all things bodybuilding! Follow me-> @Juced_porkchop

Quote Originally Posted by estray View Post
    wrong type of steroids. Theyre referring to corticosteroids, not anabolic. Huge difference.
    and bumpp!!!
    Follow me on Twitter for advanced in-depth peptide, supplement and AAS knowledge, along with all things bodybuilding! Follow me-> @Juced_porkchop

in this previous link they indeed refer to corticoids but the same reasoning stays for anabolic steroids or steroids in general

Steroids - The Truth about Steroids | Globalchange.com | Steroids, Steroid, Often, Body
    Steroid immune system - Long-term steroid and immune system suppression
    Thats one of the stupidist statments iv ever herd about steroids lol.
    buddy there opposits! like cold and hot. sweet soure. THEY ARE NOT IN ANY WAY THE SAME CEPT THAT THERE WORD STEROID IS IN THE END NAME AND THERE OPPOSITS

estray
    i found this lolworthy in that article.

"Often you will find underlying psychological reasons why people abuse steroids in muscle building. Some studies suggest up to 25% have been physically or sexually abused as children or attacked as adults and are highly motivated to make themselves powerful and resistant to future attack."

and personally i found on my hrt (wich is 200mgtestcyp ans 125mg deca ew) OR cycle im on right now (omadren 1amp eod,200mgdeca ew) is i got sick lesss and since iv upped my vitC intake over the year to 4-7g a day i have only got sick 1 time about 9 months ago and every one is sick these passed few months with winter."hope i dont bit my tounge for saying this and get sick now hahaha"

alot of factors coem in . over.HEAVLY training can lower immune system and could be why u seem to get sick. at times i fel i was gonna get sick but havent as i have been going heavy laitly.

Community Veteran
    Longtime Vet
    People your mixing apples and oranges, when Doctors refer to anti inflammatory steroids they are speaking of cortisone derivatives the exact opposite of anabolic steroids.

Yes they do

estray
    Quote Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
    People your mixing apples and oranges, when Doctors refer to anti inflammatory steroids they are speaking of cortisone derivatives the exact opposite of anabolic steroids.
    Theres only 1 person in this thread thats doing this. I already corrected him but thanks.

Community Veteran
    Longtime Vet
    Here's a bit more info written by one of the most fantastic minds ever to post on BB forums.

Androgens, Estrogens, and The Immune Response
    Here is the answer people by Nandi12.

Androgens, Estrogens, and The Immune Response
    I posted this reply recently on another board to the question "Do androgens suppress or stimulate the immune system"

It's really not quite correct to say androgens suppress or stimulate the immune system. It is a bit more complicated than that, not surprisingly.

Here is Immunology 101 in a nutshell. The immune system has two "arms of attack": the cell mediated arm and the humoral arm. The cell mediated arm, or cellular immunity, responds to general assaults on the body by sending out immune cells to do things like attack invading organisms, or degrade necrotic tissue, in a non specific manner. By non specific it is meant that the immune cells do not recognize the invader as a specific target with which they are familiar. Inflammation is an example of a cell mediated response. When you get a sliver or strain a muscle the body sends immune cells there to wall off the site, increase blood flow, remove damaged tissue, etc.

Humoral immunity involves B lymphocytes that secrete antibodies that bind to the target and allow immune cells to recognize the target immediately as an invader and launch an attack. When you are vaccinated for something, like smallpox, you are injected with a small inactive piece of the virus. This primes your body to make large numbers of B cell clones that, if ever challenged with smallpox for real, pump out antibodies that mark the virus for destruction by other cells. The big advantage of this system is that it is fast and efficient. The disadvantage is that it is very specific. The cellular response is not as efficient but it works against any invader, not just one for which there already exist primed clonal B cells.

There is an emerging model of how the sex steroids regulate the two arms of the immune system. It is thought that testosterone stimulates the humoral arm and suppresses the cellular arm. This paradigm arose from the study of autoimmune diseases which overwhelmingly plague women more than men. The majority of autoimmune diseases involve a cellular immune system gone wild. Since in men testosterone suppresses cellular immunity, men are much less likely to suffer from these diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis.

So when NFG123 mentioned that androgens are antiinflammatory, this is kind of what it means technically. Some steroids seem to have stronger effects than others. So when people say deca improves joints because it makes you hold water, that is nonsense. It is an antiinflmmatory because it suppresses cell mediated immunity, which controls inflammation. it has nothing to do with water.

Why is deca's reputation as an antiinflammatory better than testosterone's for example? My guess is the minimal aromatization and its progestogenic activity. If you link to the article below and open the graphic, you will see a couple of interesting things.

First, progesterone, like testosterone, stimulates humoral immunity (the TH2 mediated response in the graphic) and suppresses cellular immunity (TH1 response). So progesterone has antiinflammatory action.

Second, estrogen exerts a biphasic effect. At low doses it is proinflammatory, stimulating the TH1 arm of the immune system (cellular immunity) and inflammation.

Deca then works both as an androgen and a progestin to quell inflammation. Testosterone, by virtue of its aromatization to estrogen is an inferior antiinflammatory.

If you want to learn more about sex hormones and immunity, this is a good article to start with

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...=JsdA5F3s0DHFo

Novice
    What causes test flu then?

Supraphysiological doses of testosterone do lower the immune system a bit. I can't remember the technical data behind it and it obviously isn't hugely significant. Don't worry about it. But if you are going to claim that you are immune to disease because of your cycle then you would be full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan89 View Post
    nobody knows.

estray
    Interesting info.

you body is stopping production of its natty testosterone due to the overload/confusion of amount. i feel this is why but im no doc.
    as after a few weeks you feel better right?
    when i first went on i got it but after going on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) i never go it agen at high or lowdoses.

Community Veteran
    Longtime Vet
    It's pretty well concluded in the medical community that Etiocholanolone a specific metabolite of testosterone causes flu like symptoms in man and some primate. It also seems that after a few weeks on test, the flu like symptoms fade.

Etiocholanolone is believed to produce fever and flu-like aches and pains because it induces the systemic release of Interleukin-1, a powerful proinflammatory cytokine:

Pyrogenicity of etiocholanolone and interleukin-1 in New and Old World Monkeys.

Steinetz BG, Randolph C, Werner R, Mahoney CJ.

New York University Medical Center, Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Surgery in Primates, Tuxedo 10987, USA. steinetz@charlotte.med.nyu.edu

Etiocholanolone (5beta-androstan-3alpha-ol-17-one; designated E) is one of the major products of metabolism of testosterone and androstenedione (androst-4-ene-3,17-dione) in many mammalian species, including humans. E and several other 5beta-reduced steroids have been found to induce fever in humans. The pyrogenic effect of these steroids has been shown to be due to the release of interleukin-1 (IL-1) from the leukocytes that are mobilized in response to the steroid injections. Old World Monkeys such as Rhesus monkeys (Macaca mu/atta), metabolize androgens similarly to humans, and E is a normal metabolite. However, New World Monkeys such as Squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus), lack hepatic 5alpha- and 5beta-steroid reductases and excrete androgens primarily in an unaltered state; E is not produced. Therefore, we postulate that Squirrel monkeys likewise may have lost the ability to respond to 17-ketosteroids such as E. To test this hypothesis, adult male Rhesus and Squirrel monkeys were treated with E, and their rectal temperatures were recorded over a 24-hr period. Rhesus monkeys exhibited a rise of up to 3 degrees F following E injection. Squirrel monkeys, on the other hand, did not exhibit any increase in rectal temperature over the 24-hr period, even when doses up to 250 times the effective human dose were used. However, both species responded to injected IL-1alpha with a robust increase in rectal temperature. The data show that E is pyrogenic in Rhesus, but not Squirrel monkeys. The findings support the notion that injected E may induce release of IL-1 in Rhesus monkeys, but not in Squirrel monkeys.

[QUOTE=juced_porkchop;2025728]
    Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post

bumpp!!
    The use of steroids in HIV has nothing to do with the immune system

Use of Anabolic Steroids in HIV Disease

Seattle Treatment Education Project (STEP) Perspective, Vol. 5, No. 2 - July 1993 * 127 Broadway E. Ste 200 Seattle, WA 98102
    Wayne Dodge, MD

There is a growing interest in the possible uses of anabolic (tissue-mass- increasing) steroids in HIV disease. As we do a better job in controlling the infectious diseases that assault individuals with HIV, the general wasting and fatigue that accompany advancing HIV illness becomes of greater concern to both the individual and care provider.

(...) Studies now in progress are using currently available synthetic anabolic steroids - nandrolone (trade name Durabolin, made by Organon) and oxandrolone (made by Gynex) - for both constitutional symptoms (fatigue/weakness) and muscle wasting.

(...) If an HIV infected individual has had significant weight loss, significant fatigue, or muscle wasting (especially proximal--e.g., thigh and upper arm), and particularly if associated with a significant decrease in libido and erections (with attention paid to the lack of a morning or "piss" hard- on), a serum testosterone level should be obtained. If it is in the low or low normal range (less than 300 ng/dl) then a trial of testosterone therapy could be tried. The individual and the clinician should decide what result would constitute a successful trial - e.g., weight gain of 15 pounds, a 30% improvement in sense of well-being, a successful erection once a week, etc. Then a testosterone (depo-testosterone) injection of 200 mg every two weeks can be given over two to three months with periodic evaluation. If the treatment is "successful," continued use of the medication is probably warranted. If not, the individual's own hormonal system will rapidly readjust when the medication is stopped.

uniquemicals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information