Anabolic steroids, bodybuilding discussion forums. - Steroidology

rui products

(Forum for members to discuss the use of anabolic steroids)

WHY Anavar is NOT toxic to the liver
    By WRONGUN @ Sculpted by Iron

Why is Anavar not Liver Toxic?
    Anavar does not contain a C-17 alpha alkylated ion which makes it extremely safe and non-toxic to the liver. It also does not easily convert to estrogen like other steroids
    As for toxicity of 17aa the only report i have to hand at the moment but will dig out more is:

From research conducted by Michael Mooney that this is particularly well noted with HIV patients who have been using Oxandrin, another brand name for oxandrolone Anavar is much less liver toxic than other 17-alpha alkylated steroids, probably because it is primarily metabolized outside of the liver, when metabolized, and much of it is excreted unchanged. At higher doses it can increase liver enzyme values, there seems to be no evidence that any cytotoxicity exists, as is the case with other 17-alpha alkylated steroids.

Anabolic Steroids and the Liver

Anabolic steroids are processed by the liver. As discussed earlier, C-17 alkylated oral steroids (steroids with an alkyl group added at the alpha position of the "C-17" or number 17 carbon atom of the molecule to withstand total degradation on their first pass through the liver [see Steroids 101 section above]) are unusually harsh on the liver. For this reason, even moderate short-term administration of these C-17 oral steroids can effect liver function test readings. Elevated liver counts indicating liver stress (toxicity) have been reported in recent studies of somewhat moderate oral anabolic steroid therapy (daily doses of 40 and 80 mg of oxandrolone [Oxandrin, formerly Anavar]) as reported in the online periodical Medibolics, edited by Michael Mooney (www.medibolics.com). However, these elevated liver function readings will return to normal after cessation of a moderate, short-term steroid cycle. I could find not one case to the contrary. Further, it is recognized that intense weight training alone often causes changes in liver function tests, including SGOT, SGPT and LDH (this is something that all physicians monitoring athletes using anabolics should be familiar with).

The more serious liver problems attributed to anabolic steroid use include hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) and peliosis hepatitis (blood-filled sacs within the liver). But the majority of cases reporting liver problems have dealt with extremely sick and elderly patients treated with C-17 alkylated oral steroids for years of continuous use, and many of these patients had a particular type of anemia linked to liver tumors even without anabolic steroid therapy. A computer search of the medical literature looking for steroid-associated liver tumors could find only three in athletes (Friedl, 1990). Of the three athletes, one was using 700 mg of oxymetholone a week for five straight years, and one had a tumor more indicative of classic liver cancer than of steroid-associated tumors. Virtually all of the reported liver problems seemed to occur with the 17 alpha-alkylated oral steroids. There have been no cysts or liver tumors reported in athletes using the 17 beta-esterified injectable steroids (Wright & Cowart, p. 61). It has been noted that injectable steroids generally appear to have little effect on the liver at all (Haupt, 1993, p. 469).

Recent studies continue to suggest that reports of serious adverse effects of anabolic steroids upon the liver in healthy athletes may be highly overstated. In a study of athletes, of the 53 current or past steroid users who underwent laboratory testing, only one subject displayed an abnormal liver test (Pope & Katz, 1994, p. 379; incidentally, on physical examination, not one user displayed evidence of any major abnormalities possibly attributable to steroids, such as high blood pressure, edema, acne or hair loss.) Another study tested one of the most powerful and reputedly dangerously toxic anabolic steroids for 30 weeks on HIV positive men and women (Hengge et al.). Oxymetholone, formerly known as Anadrol in the U.S. and a C-17 alkylated oral steroid, was administered in a dosage of over 1,000 mg per week (more than that used by many bodybuilders, and for a much longer duration of uninterrupted use). The results were significant gains in lean muscle mass -- even without any weightlifting. Even more importantly - and surprisingly -- there were no significant problems with liver function, water retention, or virilization side effects (it will be interesting to see whether further studies yield consistent findings at such high dosages).

While the dangers of anabolics to athletes' livers appear to have been highly exaggerated, it must be recognized that an apparently healthy athlete with a previously existing but undiscovered liver problem could do serious damage to himself by self-administering C-17 oral anabolic steroids. For this reason alone, it would be quite irresponsible for any athlete to use anabolic steroids without having a physician regularly conduct blood tests to monitor liver function.

Wrongun!

Solid info thanks brotha.........

Female Moderator
    Fitness Professional
    Good info sweets!

WI
    Good post DRveejay11......me likes Anavar!

Community Veteran
    Fitness Consultant

After having spoken with pharms and docs, liver toxicity doesn't kick in until the daily dosage exceeds 40mg. This is one of the major features of oxandrolone that makes it a great AAS. Anadrol, Dianabol, Winstrol cannot equal this.

Interesting news.

Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good
    good read.

Pro Bodybuilder
    bump, good read

this is awesome news
    needsize@*****************

My trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Drveejay11

very solid post bro . for those with a family history of liver issues it sounds like var is the oral of choice .
    NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

VAR ONLY CYCLES ARE ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH A VAGINA.

good stuff Dr..i think var is one of those multi purpose drugs that can help in providing that finishing touch to a cycle/bridge..you wont blow up on it but its very predictable and the sides are pretty much non existant

i am not a fan of Anavar (var), i think it is over priced and over rated

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drveejay11
    By WRONGUN @ Sculpted by Iron

Why is Anavar not Liver Toxic?
    Anavar does not contain a C-17 alpha alkylated ion which makes it extremely safe and non-toxic to the liver. It also does not easily convert to estrogen like other steroids

This is terrible misinformation. Anavar is 17aa.

Anavar is metabolized mainly in the kidneys, and much is excreted unchanged.

Armchair Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by sterol
    This is terrible misinformation. Anavar is 17aa.

Anavar is metabolized mainly in the kidneys, and much is excreted unchanged.

Thats what I thought...

5 alpha-androstan-2-oxa-17 alpha-methyl-17 beta-ol-3-one

I saw one company selling 50mg tabs or capsules of anavar. If anavar should be taken every 8 hrs ,that seems like a waste.

interesting read bro

Quote Originally Posted by HGH Man
    I saw one company selling 50mg tabs or capsules of anavar. If anavar should be taken every 8 hrs ,that seems like a waste.

I Know people that have taken them once a day and didn't notice a difference.

I am banned!
    bump

this is a very good read that goes beyond just the benefits of anavar.

Building a HOUSE!!! Carpenter_Guy's Avatar
    Good read. The only thing I don't like about Anavar (var) is the cost, otherwise I'd have it with my cereal everyday

Nice post!

I have herd that Tbol is similar, as in with low effects on the liver compared to ALOT of other oral steroids.

my worry is cholesterol. anavar FUCKS that up as do most orals and some injects. alot dont seem to think about that and only think about the liver issues.

I have a a bunch of tbol and am tempted to use them lol
    also a very small abount of Anavar (200X 10mg tabs) but dont want to buy more (too much$$$)
    maybe 20mgvar/30mgtbol ed for 6 wks sounds good no?
    lol sorry im rambling now.
    anyway good post. :-)
    Follow me on Twitter for advanced in-depth peptide, supplement and AAS knowledge, along with all things bodybuilding! Follow me-> @Juced_porkchop

I am banned!
    yeh I've read similar texts regarding cholesterol but it never seemed to be a threat to be really concened about unless you already suffer from cholesterol issues prior to cycle.

a lot of people have ran the cycle of Anavar (var) and tbol with solid gains but ure doses r low bro if test is out of the question.

Thread Information