muscle science shorts July 13, 2010 Clemdog
The bulldozer weight training system is based on a mixture of doggcrapp training, max-stimulation, and heavy-duty training. In Doggcrapp training, the key focus is performing 3 sets to failure with a certain weight. The max-stimulation training focuses on performing single reps with just enough weight so you can perform another rep. And lastly, the heavy-duty training system was designed for high intensity lifting, which is often beyond failure.
The bulldozer system consists of training splits that focus on 20 rep rest-pause sets. The important thing when performing your sets is that you choose a weight that you can do 8-10 reps of. The way to perform these sets is to do as many reps as you can without training to failure, then rack the weight and take 10-15 deep breaths and repeat until you hit a total of 20 total reps for that set. Another key component of this system is the weight progression. If you are not getting stronger it is a lot harder to gain muscle. When you are able to perform 20 total reps for a set in 5 mini sets or less, then it is time to move up in weight. Here is a recommended mini set guideline of progression:
- Chest. 5 mini-sets for non-pressing movements. For Bench Press, Incline Press, etc, 6 mini-sets.
- Shoulders. 5 mini-sets for non-pressing movements. For barbell and dumbbell overhead press, etc, 6 mini-sets.
- Triceps. 5 mini-sets.
- Back. 5 mini-sets. (See Deadlift note below)
- Biceps. 5 mini-sets.
- Traps. 5 mini-sets.
- Forearms. 5 mini-sets.
- Quads. 5 mini-sets. (See Squat note below)
- Hamstrings. 5 mini-sets.
- Calves. 5 mini-sets. (See note below)
- Abs. Work abs as you please. See note below.
Also, here is an example workout routine:
- Day 1. Legs. Squats using HHLL, Leg Extensions (Bulldozer 20 rep), Hamstring Curls or RDLs (Bulldozer 20 rep)
- Day 2. Arms. 2 working 20 rep Bulldozer sets of 2 exercises for both triceps and biceps.
- Day 3. Off.
- Day 4. Back. Deadlift, 10 rep rest-paused singles, followed by DB Rows (Bulldozer 20 rep) and T-Bar Rows (Bulldozer 20 rep).
- Day 5. Chest. Bench Press (Bulldozer 20 rep), followed by two addition chest exercises (Bulldozer 20 rep).
- Day 6. Off.